Using of could have been

Context:
One of my co-workers does not respond in-time. Some times never, some times very late.
All this happened in the past.
If I want to suggest improvement to that person without being harsh or rude, can I say:

“The response time from you could have been better”.

Thanks!

2 Likes

The sentence is correct and I would say it is neither harsh nor polite. Maybe you should ask him a question like: “How about we analyze your response time to see if there is room for improvement”?

2 Likes

Thanks Torsten, for your help!
A related question:
If I want to discuss about what was happened previously and what could have been better (to improve in future) how can I use “could+have been”.
We call them as retrospective meetings (analyzing what went wrong and how to correct it).

Thanks!

2 Likes

I think your original sentence is fine for that type of meeting. The entire purpose of the meeting is for constructive criticism. It doesn’t need the same degree of diplomacy that more causal communication requires.

Personally I don’t like those kind of meetings, and would be very reluctant to work for a company that does them. Fortunately I’ve managed to avoid that sort of thing.

3 Likes

:grin:
As long as any company gives me very good salary (if not huge monies) I am ok for whatever they want to do (within certain framework).

Software sector pays me very good salary, and in Software, it is part of our job, so I see it part of Job. In Journalism (I used to work in this area), it is pathetic, worst, bias towards some people/religion/caste etc.

So if I consider IT, it is the best one as long as we do our work correctly (no groups or no bias nothing).

And also, based on News or Media - Do not ever think there is Gender based discrimination. That is baseless.

In IT, 50 or more than 50 % employees are Female. And maybe .01 percent we can see any sexual based harassment.

0% Discrimination - it maybe based on Race Color Gender Religion Region etc. It does not work in IT.

2 Likes

I’m the type that if I don’t like working there they can’t pay me enough to stay. I’d rather work for a company and job I like that pays $10/hr than a job or company I don’t like that pays $75/hr. I’m one of those rare people who really doesn’t care about money more than what I need to live on - and $10/hr full time is more than what I need to live on.

3 Likes

To me, your sentence, though not harsh and rude, sounds a bit admonishing in nature. The choice of language largely depends on factors like whether the co-worker is subordinate or superior to you, whether they repeat the lapse, whether there is any lack of understanding between you etc etc.
So, I’d prefer this: I hope you will appreciate that your timely response would help us to complete the project on time and satisfy our customers to their delight in the interets of the company for which we are working.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply!
However, the answer is not suitable at all based on the given context, not at all usable.
As said preiously, the sole purpose of the meetings is - constructive criticism - I am sorry to say that u made this mistake…etc words do not suit.
The way we tell should be very straight forward, without being rude or harsh.
Example:
You did this mistake, you can correct in this way… That is it

2 Likes

This would be the grammatically correct version: You made this mistake, you can correct it this way… That’s it.

4 Likes

There are a couple of reasons why these kind of meetings are less diplomatic than some other types of communication. The entire purpose is constructive criticism. Everyone going to the meeting expects it. The nature of the meeting itself sets the mood and expectation.

It’s important to note that the person this is being said to is not being singled out. It makes a BIG difference when everyone at the meeting is receiving similar criticism. It should be taken for what it is - an effort to improve the organization. While everyone likes to think they are doing a good job, people understand that they can always improve and take the remarks as they are meant. This type of atmosphere allows people to be more candid without the recipient taking it too personally.

3 Likes

I was being diplomatic. I have had to handle similar employees in my 40-year career too. To publicly criticize them would often be counterproductive.
Anyways, coming back to your original question and taking into consideration the context you have now explained, you could say: The response time from you should have been better. As you might discern, the the use of ‘could’ is less stern and effective.
(Avoid using about with discuss. Use has happened instead of was happened in the sentence: "If I want to discuss about what was happened previously … ").

3 Likes

True Anglophile - Your saying reflects the reality - But, like believing in some super natural may make some human-beings cruel, filthy and for some other human-beings it makes them amazing or good, kind etc.
Some one points out my flaws / drawbacks on my face will go in many ways : If I have some kind of mindset, I think - this I should change.
If I have different mindset, I think what this id… is telling, I have to take revenge in one way or other.
And many more outcomes!

2 Likes

This would be the grammatically correct version: You made this mistake, you can correct it this way… That’s it. MobileCheatsEduPl-Button-5

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply!

1 Like