Use of submit

Hi,

A recruit sent me a job spec and wanted to know if I would be interested. I’d like to say that I’m interested ad subject they sent but I don’t know if I well used the verb submitted. Please keep an eye on my reply mail:

Dear ***,

Thank you for the interest in my skills.

I’m really interested in the position of Sales Engineer you submitted.

Please find enclosed my word adjourned CV and Cover Letter.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best regards,

Dear ***[color=red]:

Thank you for [color=red]your interest in my skills.

I’m really interested in the position of Sales Engineer [color=red]that you [color=red]have offered.

Please find enclosed my word adjourned [color=red][I can’t understand “word adjourned”] CV and [color=red]cover [color=red]letter.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Best regards,

Hi Jamie,

What is wrong with a comma in:

All the best

EU

A little bird told me ‘:’ is better than ‘,’ for a business letter.

Why after Dear you have used “:”?
Why you underlined C and L of cover letter?

“word adjourned” means only “an adjourned CV in Microsoft Word format file”

Can you suggest some training aid about business writing?

As you have requested :slight_smile:

A colon is used in American English. In British English, use a comma or even no punctuation at all after the salutation.

You capitalized the C and L in “cover letter”, but “cover letter” is not the proper name of a person or place, so it should be written with a small C and a small L.

I still can’t understand it. Look up the word “adjourn” in an Italian-English dictionary. “Adjourn” means “aggiornare”. I don’t understand how a CV can be aggiornato. You can adjourn a meeting, or adjourn a session of parliament, but you can’t adjourn a CV or a computer file.

I think that right now it’s your basic general English that needs work, and not simply your business English.

In italian “aggiornare = adjourn” have two meaning, one refering to meeting,

“aggiornare una riunione o una seduta”

the second refering to documents,file or DB

“aggiornare un CV/ aggiornare un database”.

Probably in english the second meaning is not used so I might have said:

“word adjourned” = an updated CV in Microsoft Word format file

Are you agree?

Oh, I see! “Aggiornare” means the same thing as French “mettre ? jour”, meaning to update. In that case, you should have said “an up-to-date CV in Word format”, but “up-to-date” is not necessary, because any employer assumes that any CV should be up to date. So it’s better to say “a current CV in Word format.”

I thought that by “adjourned” you meant “adjoined”, which means “attached”. You attach a computer file to an e-mail.

Do you agree

(agree is a verb)

Is right! I know, but I wrong everytime, for the same reason in italian we say: “Sei daccordo?”.

And not only in Italian. In this case, English is the odd one out, at least among a bunch of European languages.

Come to think of it, English does have a similar construction: we are agreed. It can only be used for more than one person, though.

And to ask, “Are we agreed?” while not wrong, is a little unusual.

Hi,

Exactly. I wonder why Jamie assumes that velectro is going to apply for a job in the US.

All the best

EU

I don’t. I was taught all my life in school that the salutation in “a business letter” is followed by a colon, and that’s what I do. I have never received a business letter in English that did not have a colon after the salutation.