use of "pull a shift"

Hi,

If I want to have someone work instead of me for a day, can I say this:
I want you to pull a shift for me tomorow ?

Does it sound natural to a native speaker?

Thanks !

Hi Alex

I can’t say that I’ve ever heard anyone say that they “pulled a shift”. However, I’m familiar with the expression “pull an all-nighter”. For example, if a student studies all night for a test, you can say that he/she has pulled an all-nighter.

Hi Alex,

I think maybe what you’re looking for is something like ‘cover my shift’, or 'take my shift".

“Could you cover my shift for me tomorrow?”
“Can you take my Tuesday shift?”

I have occasionally heard and said ‘pull a shift’, when discussing schedules, but I’ve never heard it used to ask somebody to work in place of somebody else.

For me, ‘to pull such and such shift’ has a slightly negative connotation, sort of like drawing the short straw (leaving you to work that shift).

“I see Dave pulled the graveyard shift Tuesday.”
“I managed to pull the closing shift every Saturday this month.”

And you can pull a shift over your head, but I don’t think that’s the meaning in the thread question. :wink:

Pull a shift (a change in position or direction) can also be used in some sports. I’ve also heard it used in the same meaning as “to pull a fast one/move”.

e.g. How could he pull a shift like/such as that one?

What’s your take on these examples, Skrej?

I work at the cinemas and luckily pulled a shift ripping tickets on star wars opening night.

www2.fazed.org/view/?id=8464&last

I was going to ask if you wanted me to do some of the driving so’s you could write, if you could write in the car… Not sure I want to do ALL the driving, but I can certainly pull a good shift each way.

danamongden.net/archives/200 … y_1_2.html