Use of English

Hi,

could you help me with this:

Delia always says that her real skill is communication (15)… rather?… than cooking

In 1998, after Delia presented three programmes devoted (21)…to… the cooking of eggs, sales of eggs in Britain increased by fifty–four million. Similarly, sales of canberries increased by thirty percent after Delia included (22) … of the little red berries in a recipe for cooking roast duck

Thanks a lot.

What sort of help are you looking for, Nevermind?

If you need a word to complete the final space, try ‘some’.

Hi Nevermind,

I assume that you are puzzled by the use of ‘rather’ in the first sentence. This means: Delia, as a presenter of cookery programmes on TV believed that her real ability was more to do with explaining to viewers about cooking than to do with actually doing the cooking. The second point concerns ‘to’. This means: the three programmeswere concerned solely with cooking eggs.

Alan

Hi Nevermind,

I assume that you are puzzled by the use of ‘rather’ in the first sentence. This means: Delia, as a presenter of cookery programmes on TV believed that her real ability was more to do with explaining to viewers about cooking than to do with actually doing the cooking. The second point concerns ‘to’. This means: the three programmes were concerned solely with cooking eggs.

Alan