Use of "Despite"

I?ve always believed, “despite” was only used in combination with objects and not with sentences… (despite this, …)
I thought the only way to use despite as a verbal conjunction was in the form “despite the fact that”.
But I found out this sentence on a website also providing TOEFL essay samples:

“Despite the society want us satisfy immediately our desires, I tend to avoid spending my money to use it later.”

Is this sentence correct?

thanks, Alex

Hi,

Despite is usually a preposition and making it work as a conjunction is a step too far, I believe.

I would suggest:

Despite society wanting us to satisfy our desires immediately, I tend to avoid spending my money

As for the last part, I don’t follow it.

A

You can say Despite society wanting us to satisfy (all) our desires immediately, I tend to avoid spending (all) my money immediately so that I can save (some of) it to spend later.

No, Alex, that sentence is not correct. I don’t know what website you’re looking at, but I hope you aren’t using their sample TOEFL essays as examples of good writing.

Despite the fact that society wants us to satisfy our desires immediately

Compare the use of despite:

1. Despite the fact that I left work early, I nevertheless got home late.

2. Despite having left work early, I nevertheless got home late.

In sentence 1, “I left work early” could also function as an independent sentence.

In sentence 2, “having left work early” cannot function as an independent sentence.

Amy

thank you all!!!:slight_smile: