Usage of Tens of, Hundreds of, Thousands of...?

Happy New Year All and Sundry, :smiley:

[color=blue]I would like to know what are the differences among:

Tens of people were killed.
[color=blue]Hundreds of people were killed.
Thousands of people were killed.
[color=blue]Millions of people were killed.
Tens of thousands of people were killed.
[color=blue]Hundreds of thousands of people were killed.
and so on and so on

Hope to get your helps, :slight_smile:
Jupiter, a Cambodian novice

Happy New Year Jupiter,

In informal speech, hundreds or thousands (or millions) can mean ‘a very large number’ or ‘very many’, but literally, it’s more a question of maths, I think: tens = from 20 to 90, hundreds = from 200 to 900, and so on. So, hundreds of thousands would be from 200.000 to 900.000.

By the way, I would put your question like this, as it is an indirect question:

‘I would like to know what differences there are between the following expressions :’ or ‘I would like to know what the differences between the following expressions are’. [size=100][If more than two are involved in a united situation, between is used: ‘Between the four of us, we raised a thousand dollars.’ If a comparison or an opposition is involved, between is used: ‘There was great rivalry between the three colleges. It was difficult to choose between them.’" (Parle-Craig, Ruth, and Vincent Hooper. Barron’s 1001 Pitfalls in English Grammar 70). These are exceptions to the rule: Using “between” for only two, “among” for more. Besides, the Oxford English Dictionary notes, “In all senses, between has, from its earliest appearance, been extended to more than two”.][/size]
The noun ‘help’ is normally used in the singular.

I hope to have been of service to you.
Any further opinion is always appreciated.

Happy New Year conchita :smiley:

ManyThanks for your help and your useful ideas about the difference between “between” and “among”.
It’s the thing I’ve never known before so thank you again!

Wish you good luck in New Year, :smiley:
Jupiter