Usage of suggest

Can someone please tell me which of the following sentences are correct?

1) I suggest he do it immediately.
2) I suggest he does it immediately.
3) I suggest that he does it immediately.
4) I suggest that he do it immediately.

Does the same apply to other verbs like recommend and advise too?

I suggest that he does it immediately.

The Subjunctive is used to emphasize urgency or importance. It is used after certain expressions (see below).
Examples:

I suggest that he study.
Is it essential that we be there?
Don recommended that you join the committee.
englishpage.com/minitutorial … ctive.html

“That” is sometimes omitted. Both 1 and 4 are correct.
1)I suggest he do it immediately.
4) I suggest that he do it immediately.

Hi Daemon

It’s also possible to locate information about the subjunctive right here on this site. The search function will find quite a bit for you – this shocking thread, for example:
The BBC in language learning.
:wink:

Take care,
Amy

[size=84][color=darkblue]ESL teacher, translator, native speaker of American English and author of more than 8000 posts on this site.[/size]

It is important that she attend the meeting.

Would people say a sentence like this in everyday speech? I thought they would say something like:

It is important that she attends the meeting.

Hi Daemon

Yes, in my neck of the woods, the use of the subjunctive in that sort of sentence is fine even for everyday speech. The subjunctive emphasizes the importance/necessity of the action. Here are some examples:

• It is important that he make this move.
  • It is important that he have a presence.
  • It is important that everybody really begin to make reductions in greenhouse gases.
  • It is important that they not be out on the highways.
  • I think it is important that we be able to discuss the atrocities.
  • It is important that there be people to take your side.
  • It is important that this factor be one of those that is considered.
  • It is important that those tax cuts be permanent.

The present indicative can also be used in an “it is important that” sentence, but I’d say the result is that the sense of importance/necessity is lessened.

All the best,
Amy

[size=84][color=darkblue]ESL teacher, translator, native speaker of American English and author of more than 8000 posts on this site.[/size]

Hello Amy,

Nice to meet you. Thank you for such helpful and detailed informations. Could you please do me a favour? I’d like to know what you intent to mean by saying ‘in my neck of the woods’. Does it means ‘in my book’ or ‘in my opinion’? And in your previous post you said:" I guess the prospect of additional contributions from Yankee was and still is just too terrifying a thought for some people to deal with." I really fail to understand it fully. (I wonder when I cound say such an excellent sentence…) Many thanks. And sincerely wish you have a nice day! : )

neck of the woods (informal) - area of the country
I’m surprised to see you in this neck of the woods. What brings you here?
There’s no scenery like this in your neck of the woods, is there?

(from Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms)

Thank you very much, Milanya.

Hi Infin1ty

It’s nice to meet you too.

The expression “my neck of the woods” is a non-specific way of saying “in my area” or “where I live”. I am American, and I often talk about the way something is used in English “in my neck of the woods” rather than saying it is the way something is used “in American English”. That’s because a few people on this site tend to become upset if I state that something is used in “American English”. So, instead of telling you how something is used in America, I just say that’s how it’s used “in my neck of the woods”. I personally consider “American English” to be appropriate as a general term for the variety of English I speak, but some people don’t.

As I understand it, the expression “neck of the woods” is an Americanism which has been used on this side of the pond since roughly the mid-1700s. I have no idea whether it is ever used in the UK, but I would say that this expression can be heard from coast to coast in the US.

Well, it seems that the founders of this site are not willing to allow me to continue posting as “Yankee”. They simply deactivated that account last year. So apparently there must be something mighty terrifying about an 8000-post Yankee. I’m not quite sure why they might think “amYankee” will be any different. I’m still the same person.

You’re welcome, and I wish you a nice day too!

Take care,
Amy

PS
I personally like your avatar. I used to use a picture of a cat as my avatar, but Alan criticized it. He didn’t like the “teacher’s apple” avatar I once had, either. And I shudder to think what his opinion might be of the avatars I use on other ESL sites.

Hi Amy,

Thank you alot for such a nice reply. I really appreciate it. I personally think that AmE affects us Chinese English learners very much for American movies and TV series are so popular in China, especially among the college students. Many students (include me) practice their listening and speaking skills by watching these movies and TV series. I viewed some of your post on this forum and they are really helpful. I think one thing you should know is there are some members here missing you. Take a look at the link below and you’ll find it out.

english-test.net/forum/ftopic35814-15.html