Usage of quotation marks

Hi everybody.

An English text quoted in a foreign language text keeps the quotation marks in the English target text. But if a single English word or phrase is put in quotation marks simply to show that it is a foreign element, the quotation remarks should be removed.

Can you explain me the first part of the paragraph. As I understood, If you have a foreign text (in my case this text in Russian) and English word or phrase in this text, you shouldn’'t quotate this English word.

Example: В открывшемся окне Security Alert нажмите кнопку Yes.

But what the first part means?

TIA, Jane.

I suppose the English text should be inserted as it is with the English quotation marks. As you may know, for instance,in Russian the inverted commas slightly differ from that of the English…

Can you show me “an English quotations mark”? And what’s the difference?

I’ve tried to find “an English quotations mark”, but unsuccessfully… If you mean single quotation marks (‘ ’) they are usually reserved for setting off a quotation within another quotation.

Example: “ ‘Religion,’ according to Karl Marx, ‘is the opiate of the masses.’ ”

In Russian we have the same situation.

Example: «Система корпоративных сервисов Единой интегрированной информационной системы “Соцстрах” Фонда социального страхования РФ»

Hi Vishnya,

Sorry for the delay. Do you know the difference between Russian and English inverted commas? I didn’t mean ( ’ ')only but ( " "). Russian inverted commas are ( « »). Is this clear?

Well… We use this type of commas " " in Russian language, and this type of commas « » we also use. You can accuse me of illiteracy, but I’ve read about it and I definitely sure. If you doubt about it, look here: gramota.ru

Vishnya, I met ( ’ ') and ( " ") in Russian language too but they require special use.Don’t forget, they are mainly encountered in printing not in writing. Handwritten image of the inverted commas is something like this ( „…“ )

If you insert an English text into the Russian one you cannot set it off this way:

«An English text quoted in a foreign language text keeps the quotation marks in the English target text. But if a single English word or phrase is put in quotation marks simply to show that it is a foreign element, the quotation remarks should be removed.»

One more thing-I know Russian language well enough( My mother is Russian and a teacher of Russian) and I always try to be in the swim of the changes that pop up in the language :smiley: If you have any questions, just PM me :wink:

Well, just look at gramota.ru and read about it. 8) People who answer the questions on this site are not Russian teashers, they are professors as usual . But I’am sure you mother knows Russian quite well. What about “special usage of quotaion marks in Russian” and handwritten text - read "А. Э. Мильчина и Л. К. Чельцовой “Справочник издателя и автора”. It’ll be quite useful for you.
:wink:
And in conclusion…I don’t ask about whitch type of commas I should use. I asked about the first part of the paragraph, cause I wasn’t quite shure about it. But in spite of it, thanks for your opinion, but I have more weighty opinion about Russian language than just a teacher’s opinion, without offence . :wink:

P.S. I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings.

Hi,

Is Russian your native language ? :wink:

No offence taken, Vishnya.Could you provide me with a link to the topic in question so that to give you some feedback.This site consists of many items, including the forum. I need the direct link to this topic. Is gramota.ru the only reliable source for you? Anyway, you shouldn’t confine yourself to just one source of information.

P.S.There are some typos in your post :lol:

Well, dear, you cavil at every word. What will be your next step? My grammar mistakes in English or something like “you don’t dot this sentence” or “you don’t put the comma”. It’s a main sign of failure. Don’t you have any forcible argument in our duscussion? What about a “reliable source”…if you can read, I gave you at least two sources. :roll:
What about gramota.ru - [u]http://gramota.ru/spravka/buro/search_answer/?page=2&s=�����[/u] And there are no prohibition in usage of " " commas. And there is the answer:

Ответ справочной службы русского языка

В русских текстах традиционно используются следующие формы кавычек: «елочки» (в печатных текстах), ,лапки’’ (в рукописных текстах), ‘марровские кавычки’ (для перевода значения иностранного слова). Однако в последнее время в большинстве текстов, набранных на пишущих машинках и компьютерах, употребляются особые “программистские кавычки”, в которых рисунок открывающих и закрывающих кавычек не различается.

You are welcom. 8)

I’ve picked up nothing new, Vishnya. I believe I said the same.

As this forum is English not Russian,let’s stop off-topic and chat via PM :lol: