Usage of price, cost, value, worth

I have a couple of sentences which gave me a little headache,as I couldn’t tell the exact difference between these words’ dictionary definitions-price,cost,value,worth.Could you please help me?Thank you.

1.Our local museum has a _________ collection of paintings. ([color=red]valuable?)
2.I bought this jacket in the sales for a very good________. ([color=red]price?)
3.The ________ of rebuilding the city will be enormous. ([color=red]costs?)
4.Will the ________ of my property go down if they build a factory nearby?([color=red]value?)
5.The__________of houses has gone up sharply in the last few years.([color=red]price?)
6.I thought the ring was made of gold,but it turned out to be .([color=red]worthless?)
7.I have bought fifty pounds’
_ of drink for the party.Do you think that will be enough?([color=red]value?)
8.This car was a real bargain;it only______ me a thousand pounds.([color=red]cost?)

1.Our local museum has a _________ collection of paintings. ([color=red]valuable?) Correct.

2.I bought this jacket in the sales for a very good________. ([color=red]price?) Correct. However, I’m a bit mystified by the expression “in the sales”. What do you mean by that?

3.The ________ of rebuilding the city will be enormous. ([color=red]costs?) Correct.

4.Will the ________ of my property go down if they build a factory nearby?([color=red]value?) Correct.

5.The__________of houses has gone up sharply in the last few years.([color=red]price?) Correct.

6.I thought the ring was made of gold,but it turned out to be _________.([color=red]worthless?) Correct.

7.I have bought fifty pounds’__________ of drink for the party.Do you think that will be enough?([color=red]value?) Correct.

8.This car was a real bargain;it only______ me a thousand pounds.([color=red]cost?) Correct.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing special offers in clothes store[YSaerTTEW443543]

“In the sales” was not meant to be a particular context.Thank you.

Hm,I am a little surprised that all of them were correct.Were there any other alternatives possible?

Hi Julia,

As in any other language, there are always different ways of expression a certain idea so there are always alternatives. For example, instead of saying ‘a valuable collection of paintings’ you can say ‘a priceless collection of paintings’, ‘an invaluable collection of paintings’ or ‘a unique collection of paintings’.

By the way, ‘any other alternatives’ is a tautology.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Airplane pilot is welcoming passengers on board giving them information about flight[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thank you for your time.It really helped. :slight_smile: