understanding vs in understanding

1. Newcomers to the field of computer networking often have difficulty understanding the difference between transmission delay and propagation delay.
  2. Newcomers to the field of computer networking often have difficulty in understanding the difference between transmission delay and propagation delay.
    1# is what I found in the Internet and #2 is my version.
    Which one is correct?
    Thanks.

They are both acceptable.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

May I add my personal opinion to your interesting thread?

Like you, I also prefer using the preposition – especially in writing. When I speak fast, I might omit the preposition.

Something strange happened yesterday. I was typing an answer.
I had not yet pushed the “Send message” button. Suddenly, my words disappeared from my computer screen and another member’s answer popped up in its place!

I am still having difficulty in understanding what had happened!

Hopefully you – or another member – can advise this computer-illiterate elderly gentleman.

James

Thank you, Dozy and James!
I feel it is better with the preposition “in”.
(However, it is only my feeling.)

I have the same problem. My browser, sometimes, doesn’t work properly and close suddenly. My words disappear and I have to start over again. This isn’t comfortable at all. :slight_smile:
Now each time I have to write a long post, at first I type it in Notepad or Word applications and save it. Then, just copy and paste it to the reply section and push the “Send message” button. If something bad happens, the copy in Notepad or Word is still there, just copy and paste again.

Thank you for your advice. But I do not know how to “copy and paste.” I really AM computer illiterate! So I just start typing again. Actually, the biggest problem I have is that the system repeats my post two or three or even four times. I then do my best to delete the duplicate posts.

To the best of my knowledge, these problems started because the website is doing a good job in getting rid of spam. In the process, however, there have been some unforeseen consequences. Eventually, everything should be fine, though.

Have a nice day!

James