unacquainted or unfamiliar?

This is in a reading passage exercise :

“Even if you are allowed to use one dictionary , it’s very time-consuming to look up words and time in exams is usually limited . You are therefore forced to guess meaning of ______ words”
A. unacquanited B. alien C. queer D. unfamiliar

I guess the answer is D , but i am also confused by A
Give me some idea for it

Thanks !

A person can be unacquainted with something. Words can’t be unacquainted because they can’t think. Also, in your sentence ‘the’ is missing before ‘meaning’.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A man on a ladder[YSaerTTEW443543]

thanks a lot !
And sorry for my careless . There is a word “the” before “meaning”

By the way , I can use " I am not acquainted with these words" but not " These words are not acquainted by myself" , for example , right ?

Yes, you are right.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A picnic[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi, Torsten!

Might there be inserted “be” after “can”? I just haven’t found any example on the internet. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Yes, of course it should read ‘can be unacquainted’. Thanks for pointing this out, Andrey.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A flock of geese[YSaerTTEW443543]

You are welcome! Torsten!

Does it make sense if I say “She looks so acquainted” when I see someone in the street that I think I have ever met?

Hi,

That won’t work, I’m afraid. Another way to say this would be: Her face looks (so) familiar.

Alan

So, suppose you are going for a walk in the street with a friend of yours, you suddenly see someone that you think you have ever met, what do you say to your friend naturally, Mr Alan, as a native speaker of English?

Can you say “She looks so familiar!” ?

Thanks

Hi Anna,

There is a slight problem here because ’ She looks so familiar’ could have other meanings like: She looks so attractive/provocative/cheeky. That’s why I suggested: Her face looks familiar.

Alan

Thanks