[color=blue]Two more books, please.

Two books more, please.

Which one is better or correct?
And is there any difference?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter

I think it’s two more books… :smiley:

Hi Jupiter,

An interesting question. My preference is for two more books suggesting in addition or extra in quantity. By using more after the noun you are usually indicating additional in the sense of longer.

You could therefore say either:

We like the hotel so much that we have decided to stay two more days here.

or

We like the hotel so much that we have decided to stay two days more here.

Alan

Hi Jupiter

I agree with Alan that your question is interesting and also that using more before the noun is more typical.

But, in my opinion, the more unusual usage (more after the noun) is not necessarily mainly connected to time:

[i]1. Car X gets 5 more miles per gallon (than car Y).

1. Car X gets 5 miles more per gallon (than car Y).
    [/i]
    Actually, I’d prefer sentence 2 in this case, but I haven’t really decided why yet. But I suppose it’s because there is a more obvious comparison. :?
    Alan, what do you think?

[i]3. There are only two more miles to go until we get there.

1. There are only two miles more to go until we get there.[/i]

Amy

Hi Amy,

More on more. I puzzled over this as dawn crept over the window sill (My Fair Lady lyrics). Now you’ve mentioned your example of distance, I’m even more puzzled because I agree it’s all right. You could say: five more miles/five miles more/five more gallons/five gallons more. That of course blows up my little theory about duration and now we’ve got quantity. So how about measurable quantity? Concludes with lyrics: All I want is a room somewhere/Far away from the midnight air.

Alan

Does anyone understand why people do things like this:

Huong swipes
Huong swipes again

:?: :?: :?:

Amy

just some people, thank God…

Shall I throw in two more “car X” options and complete the lot?
[size=84](No pun intended. 8))[/size]

1. Car X gets 5 miles per gallon more than car Y.

vs

1. Car X gets 5 miles per gallon more.

I prefer sentence 5, but sentence 6 would also be OK if, for example, the fuel efficiency of car Y had already been previously mentioned. :lol:

-Amy-

EDIT
(for Jupiter):

Jupiter, two more books is definitely the better of your two options.

I think the word more would be more appropriate after the noun when there’s a more obvious (or direct) comparison. But, even so, your second option isn’t wrong.

Well, it’s good to see that our forum is popular and we have been able to establish such a strong following. Fortunately enough there are some things that even Quoc, Huong, Alandro together can’t copy :)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: In the dock[YSaerTTEW443543]

Here is a “new and improved” version. 8)
6 more miles

So, that’s where our friend Quoc escaped to :-).[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A maize field[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi, Torsten

Guess what? You forgot one name in your list! You may tell the name and then name your prize! :wink:

Tom