Two hundred and twenty-five or 225?

A riot broke up; two hundred and twenty-five people were arrested for the offence.

(The above sentences are my own creation.)

Should “two hundred and twenty-five” be written as "225’ instead?

Thanks.

4 Likes

Yes, if you use numbers instead of writing them out as words your sentence is much easier and quicker to read. It’s very seldom that numbers are spelled as words especially when they have more than one digit.

4 Likes

I would say ‘A riot broke out’.

You can use numbers or words.

Have a look at these links for examples in writing:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/page_33.htm

3 Likes

Good morning Andrea, many thanks for pointing out that it should read ‘a riot broke out’ and not ‘a riot broke up’, I missed that this morning.

3 Likes

It’s all good @Torsten :wink:

2 Likes

@Andrea, I love the phrase “it’s all good” because it reminds me of the TV series Saul Goodman. Do you know it?

3 Likes

@Torsten, it does have a nice ring to it :slight_smile: I haven’t watched this TV series. I know ‘Better call Saul’ is a spin off from ‘Breaking Bad’. Maybe I should watch it sometime :wink:

2 Likes

When the number is 10 or more, the usual practice is to write it in figures rather than in words. It saves space, time and energy. As Torsten says, it is easier to understand the figures than words.

Andrea has corrected the phrase. Perhaps, for Kohyoongliat, other rioters might have broken up and run away! (I think my use of the phrase is acceptable, isn’t it, Andrea?)

3 Likes

Many thanks to all of you.

4 Likes

Lawrence, I don’t think your sentence is what Kohyoongliat is implying here.

@Kohyoongliat It’s about a riot that broke out causing many people to get arrested.

@Anglophile Your sentence is different because you are implying that these rioters have managed to split up from each other and get away with it.

In actual fact, the riot started and the rioters were arrested so yours is completely different in meaning.

3 Likes

Yes, if all the rioters were arrested.

2 Likes

That’s the very TV series I had in mind. I mixed up the name of main character with the title of series :wink: But it’s all good I guess :joy:

3 Likes

@Torsten No worries! Yeah, it’s all good :+1: :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you very much ,Lady Andrea. They are very useful links.

2 Likes

You’re welcome @Mona_Rmzi :hugs:

2 Likes

I don’t think you can use the phrasal verb ‘break up’ this way. You can break up with a person or your marriage can break up. How can rioters break up? I mean, can you really use ‘to break up’ as an intransitive verb other than in the context of “you’re breaking up” when referring to a bad telephone line?

2 Likes

Torsten, I agree. But I think it also has the meaning disperse, disband etc in which sense it may be used; The troops broke up after a long cross country.

2 Likes

Oh, my brat grandchildren, Saul and Raul are black boys with green eyes.

2 Likes