TRUDGE

Hi,

Is the usage of the word ‘trudge’ in the sentence below correct?

‘If you find yourself trudging against the tide of fate…’

Please help,
Thank you.

‘Trudging’ is literal while ‘tide of fate’ is figurative. Why don’t you complete the sentence so that the idea becomes clearer?

Yes it is.
It’s clear that it’s a suitable term because you are moving ‘against the tide’ so your movement will be slow. It is perfectly acceptable to mix the literal with the figurative in this manner.

… and you may come across it in the texts like these: “We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny. May God bless you…”;
“Trudging from one grey day into another, on and on, until at last it doesn’t matter any more, or so it seems.”
–I find the following definition quite appropriate: “the slow weary depressing yet determined walk of a man (or woman) who has nothing left in his (or her) life except the impulse to simply soldier on”.

Thanks Beeesneees. I haven’t been here for a while, and you are as helpful as always. I’m writing lyrics nowadays, hopefully it will turn out inspiring. Thank you again for your continuous contribution to this site.

Sincerely,
RR

Thanks Beeesneees. I haven’t been here for a while, and you are as helpful as always. I’m writing lyrics nowadays, hopefully it will turn out inspiring. Thank you again for your continuous contribution to this site.

Sincerely,
RR

In point of fact both are figurative here. The question is about the suitability of ‘trudge’. Perhaps ‘wade’?

However, it’s appreciable that we have a lyricist among us. I wish he posted some of his lyrics so that we could have a glimpse of them without being critical.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your input. I’m not a native speaker, I did wonder if trudge would sound ‘natural’, actually.

Alan, to me, whether it is ‘trudge’ or ‘wade’, both by themselves are literal and physical until either of them is connected suitably (with context) to the ‘tide of fate’ which is figurative. As you suggest, ‘wade’ matches more with ‘tide’ than ‘trudge’ does.