TPO 50 independent TOEFL essay

** you agree or disagree with the following statement? All university students should be required to take history courses no matter what their field of study is.

It is critically important that universities consider various factors when they design a curriculum since it will play a significant role in the development of students in the university. Personally, I believe that universities should not force students to enroll in irrelevant courses to their major like history courses for students who their field of study is not history. I feel this way for two reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.

First of all, students’ academic performance will be affected by attending compulsory classes like history classes. To be more specific, students are really swamped with their major projects and assignments. Therefore, they do not have extra time to devote to courses that are not related to their field of study. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. When I was a master’s student in math, the university made me take a literature course beside my major courses. It was a tough time, I had to work on my thesis and took part in that class. I did not have enough time to focus completely on my thesis due to I could not submit it due time and I asked for an extended time. Consequently, it took an extra semester to graduate from university.

Secondly, unrelated courses to the students’ majors like history will put extra money for students and their parents as that money would be reflected in tuition fees. In other words, the university has to hire professors to teach those courses. As a result, students cannot meet their major’s requirements and buy things that are necessary for their major, because they have to pay for their fees. For instance, one of my friends who was a computer science could not purchase a laptop in the first year of university, for she had to cover tuition that was due to take irrelevant mandatory courses such as art, history, and so on.

In conclusion, I am of the opinion that students do not need to take courses that are not related to their major. This is due to the fact that it would affect students both academically and financially

3 Likes