TPO 49 -The ability to maintain friendships with a small number of people over a long period of time is more important for happiness than the ability to make many new friends easily

Can anyone please help me in correcting this essay? Thanks a lot.

Friendship is really important for us because it helps us to overcome stress, makes us stronger, and keeps us strong. As we cannot share everything with our parents and relatives, friends can be really helpful to talk. So considering whether maintaining a friendship with a small number of people for a longer time than making new friends now and then, I would have to say that I agree with it. Keeping small friends close is better than making new friends and then forget them.

First, every person can face difficulties in life, and in those times we need someone who can understand and help us in those stressful situations. It is not always possible to make new friends and talk to them about our stress, and they will not be interested in listening also. On the other hand, a long time friend knows your shortcomings, issues, and can best suggest what to do in those stressful scenarios. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. I remember, when I was preparing for an entrance exam I could not perform well in mock tests even I studied hard. Performance pressure was eating me from inside out. When I could not resolve it on my own, I spoke to my friend regarding this issue and he helped in understanding the mistakes I was making in the tests. It helped me in cracking the exam later.

Second, when you are friends with someone for a longer period, you do not need to look cool and show off in front of them. When you try to make new people and try to be friends with them, a lot of time needs to be invested to make them friends. In addition to this, finding friends with similar interests is very tough and if it is not going to last then the invested time is a waste. For example, my cousin is a party person and likes to party a lot. He is an extrovert and makes new friends so easily and then later does not even contact them back. So when he needed a true friend to talk about his problems, he had no one to talk to.

Finally, finding friends and keeping the friendship for a longer period is a tough job and relationships get stronger as the time passes. However, a friendship of which lasts for a very short period does not help and can be only for fun for some time.

2 Likes