TOEFL Topic, please rate it, thanks a lot.

What change would make your hometown more appealing to people your age? Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Although from my point of view, my hometown Hefei is sufficiently beautiful and attracting, there are still some things we could do to improve it and make it more welcomed among the young people.

Firstly, the local government should spend more money on the promotion of the city, especially the tasty food in Hefei. Every time I paid a visit to other cities in China, people I met there always told me that: Wow, you come from Hefei! That’s a fantastic city and I really like the little lobster there. You need to treat me with the little lobster when I go to Hefei next time. Therefore, I think if we take more effort, such as making an advertisement online, to promote our delicious little lobster, more foodies will be attracted to my hometown. As a result, they will find much more tempting Hefei cuisines and recommend other gourmets come to Hefei.

In addition, I think the government and local corporations can also invite more music stars to hold their individual concerts or host more high-level sports games in Hefei. As far as I know, with the economic development of Hefei, more and more young people would like to pay some money to watch a sports game on site. However, since there are few such activities held in Hefei, most of them even have to drive to Shanghai to watch a football or basketball game. If the local corporation are willing to sponsor more such games, I think Hefei will be more appealing to young people.
Finally, the government should put forward more economic and financial policies to encourage local financial firms to develop and therefore more positions such as finance analysts orauditors, will be opened to attract young people to locate in or come back to Hefei. Many of my friends and classmates who major or work in finance field told me that they really want to come to work and live in Hefei because they consider Hefei as a city with beautiful scenery, comfortable living pace and great potential. However, there aren’t enough finance-related positions in Hefei so that my friends and classmates could not carry out their relocation plans. So, if more positions are provided, an increasing number of young people will come to work and live in Hefei.

To summarize, there are many measurements that both the local government and corporations could take such as investing more in the promotion of local food, hosting more cultural events and advancing financial development, to make Hefei more appealing.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture in Biology

Hi Wenbo, I really liked this essay. This could definitely be a letter to the editor in any large newspaper. It even inspired me to look up Hefei - it is amazing that it has 4 or 5 million people, but I had never heard of it before. Your essay was very well written with many fascinating details. I am tempted to give this a 5, but you do have some minor grammatical errors here and there and I do have to give you some room for improvement, right? So I will rate this a 4.5 out of 5.

Hi Luschen, thanks for your helpful comment. Yes, I think 4 or 5 billion is really a great number, but compared to 1.4 billion, the population of China, this number becomes a little bit smaller. I see you are engineer, so you might know the University of Science and Technology of China. It is at Hefei.

I should say thank you again for your comment since it really helped me immensely.