Toefl task 2/ ambitious dreams or realistic goals

Some people prefer to focus on ambitious dreams while others think realistic goals are more important. Which do you prefer and why?

Today’s world is an intricate, developed, and competitive one that leads people to have purposes and try hard to acquire them in numerous ways. With this in mind, a heated debate exists over whether ambitious dreams are more important or realistic goals. As far as I am concerned, ambitious dreams can bring about huge advantages.

To begin with, ambitious dreams may encourage people to make effort considerably. In other words, putting too much effort into a work can give rise to breakthrough, as we can see in the history. In fact, ambitious dreams can force individuals to make effort more than a normal situation. The reason is that individuals know that in order to reach their dreamy goals they should spend much time, work hard, and seize any opportunities. For example, Steve Jobes can illustrate how ambitious dreams can bring about huge achievements. Indeed, had he not had big dreams, he would have never tried hard, made effort, or allocated too much time of his life to reach such a useful achievement.

The other equally significant reason worth mentioning is that ambitious dreams can increase individuals’ positive energy and motivation. In better words, the more dreamy goals one has, the more he or she would have the inclination to acquire them. In addition, motivated and ambitious individuals are more likely to channel their energy in the right path. Moreover, having the strong impetus for reaching a big dream can help people to boost their knowledge and gain different valuable experiences. Hence, such individuals are more capable of successfully overcoming troubles they would encounter. One friend of mine, for instance, always had a dream to have one of the biggest computer company in our country. I remember he tried hard to gain knowledge about state-of-the-art computers and used all of his spare time to read about successful companies. In the end, he gained valuable knowledge in order to run a company in an excellent manner and establish a strong relationship with employees. Consequently, thanks to the strong motivation he had, which was the fruit of his ambitious dreams, he could make progress in this field and now hardly can a company compete with him.

To sum up, by taking all of the above-mentioned examples, one can conclude that ambitious dreams can be more beneficial for people. By having dreamy purposes not only can one dramatically change the world through his or her breakthrough, but also he or she can meticulously guide strong stimuli to acquire big dreams.

33 min—409 words

3 Likes

I share Your opinion BUT YOUR story is right for the Western people. I am living in Bulgaria and to be honest we don’t have your way of thinking or we hold to the image towards the others. We are underdeveloped in the true sense of the word. I had the chance to work at hotel Hilton long time ago 2001-2002 and Bulgarian chefs of departments are not so skilled as the western chefs because we are passing the transition for about 30 years which is not normal. So it means that people are not capable to be as YOU. I lived one year in Switzerland and to be honest I appreciate them a lot for what they achieved. They are hardworking people and they like their country which we all can see. Their country is as POSTCARD. My country is ugly and dirty as the people.

2 Likes

@Kolev123: I know for a fact that there is quite a number of Bulgarians who are as hardworking as the most diligent Eidgenossen so there is hope for a better future for Bulgaria too. Also, Bulgaria is a very beautiful country I’m sure its people are not dirty at all :wink: .

1 Like

Hi, I think you did a pretty good job in writing a fairly long essay in a relatively short period of time. Unfortunately, reading through your essay I realized that your two body paragraphs have almost the exact same reason. As I read, I decided to tell you how to modify your first body paragraph by focusing on the fact that ambitious goals are the only way to achieve results that could truly improve society - you have to dream big in order to get huge results.
But then in your conclusion you stated almost this exact same idea! My guess is that you came up with this at the last minute and didn’t really get a chance to use it in your actual essay. I think your Steve Jobs example would have worked fine You could talk about how the Iphone and Mac computers have completely changed how we interact with each other and how we access information. But as written, I am afraid the grader will recognize that your two reasons are too similar. Here are some other ideas:

3 Likes

Hi…I really appreciate for the time you allocate to correct my essays.
Yeah you are right about first body paragraph, I wanted to explain reaching breakthrough but, I lost the main point.

2 Likes

I rewrote the first body paragraph with a new idea.

To begin with, ambitious dreams can bring more joy and excitement to individuals’ lives than realistic objectives. Needless to say, people should be active, try different solutions, meet and speak with numerous persons, as well as using their imagination and creativity to reach the apex of their aspirations. Thus, they are less likely to feel bored or tired easily by doing tasks which can be predicted for a realistic goal. For example, thanks to a visionary goal one has, he or she may face countless challenging situations in the path of life. To solve such challenging problems, individuals need to use their creativity and imagination, resulting in liveliness for anybody. It would not be exaggerating to say that life journey without excitement and unanticipated events can be as a tedious story. Consequently, ambitious goals can help people to lead a happy, gratifying, and fruitful life.

2 Likes

I don’t think I liked this paragraph that much. I think it is better to have an actual example - you usually do such a good job of having detailed and specific examples, so make sure you don’t abandon that method!

3 Likes

thank you, yeah but you know, sometimes it is hard to make a fake example and write about details. but it seems there is no way, I should try hard to practice my imagination :sweat_smile:

3 Likes