Toefl study group

I am so happy that you find what you are searching for, I wanna achieve this goal also but I only have 5 weeks I hope I can score high

1 Like

Hi all,
I tried something new today to learn more vocabulary,I watched an episode of english series without any subtitles and I replay each scene many times and repeat the sentences even they are easy , I found that great because some times there are some expressions are very common and you know the meaning but you can’t use them like <I am very good at what i do, stop wasting my time, down there,>
New vocabulary that i heard for the first time , i tried to guess the spelling with google and it works like <audacity, it means boldness> i replayed the scene like 10 times to get this word and i bet i won’t forget it :))))

1-Technology improves people’s lives
2-We had the time of our life
3-I had never been so scared in all my life
4-Lack of exercise will harm their life
5-Everyone’s life is different
Is that right???

“A lot of” can be used for both countable and uncountable nouns, so it can be used for both “many” and “much”. “I have a lot of sugar.” “I have a lot of sugar packets.”

This may be why it is used so often by English learners, because it works for everything. Native speakers on the other hand are much more likely to use “many” or “much”, depending on the noun.

Sarah, for #2 and #4, the pronoun modifying life is plural, so it should be lives.

Hi Jeofergin, your post reminded me of another topic I wanted to address. In my opinion, TOEFL essays use the word “convenient” far too often. In my mind, convenient’s main meaning is to describe something physical which saves us time and makes our life easier - a nearby bus stop, a microwave oven, a fast food restaurant.

But for some reason, TOEFL writers are always using convenient in ways which sound odd to my native ear:

“words which are convenient for essays” - “useful” or “appropriate” would be better

“people move to cities for a more convenient life” - “easier” or “fulfilling” would be better

“Buying a car can help us be more convenient in moving.” - “be more effective in commuting”

“universities are more convenient than the private universities” - “cheaper” or “more affordable”

training machines which are convenient and safe - “effective”

it is likely that you have a rather ordinary and convenient life - “stress free”

There is no doubt that convenient conditions brought us by technology today “productive”

I will avoid multiple financial problems and have a more convenient life thanks to my high salary “fulfilling” or “stress free”

Convenient is usually ok for these situations, but is rarely the best word. Once again, this may be where English learners use a “utility word” instead of using the best word.

Hey guys… I’ve my TOEFL on 24th of this month… Can anyone have a voice chat with me and asses my speaking?

Hi Luschen I miss your tip today

Hi,
I have a question , this expression (crack under pressure) does it mean fail or just you just under stress
the other one (I am screwed) i know the meaning is to be in problems but what the difference between it and ( screwed up )and (messed up)

Hi Sarah. Crack under pressure does mean to fail at a time of intense stress.

“I am screwed” means “I am in big trouble” or “I am sure to fail”. “Screwed up” and “messed up” are synonyms. “I am screwed” borders on impolite language, so I would only use it among friends. “Screwed up” is still a bit informal, but not really impolite at all.

It seems like every essay I read contains at least one “very good”. I would say this is not very good! Situations like these are an excellent, exceptional, tremendous time to show your vocabulary (or at least vocabulary memorization) skills. Try to learn a few synonyms for very good and use them in your writing. Here are a few to get you started, maybe we can all add to the list.

Excellent
Exceptional
Wonderful
Fantastic
Tremendous
Superb
First-rate
Top-notch
Superior
Outstanding
Exemplary
Phenomenal
Stupendous

Outstanding suggestion for all the toefl writers.

Thanks.

Here is another “tip of the day”. I see many TOEFL students try to make plurals out of words which are always (or almost always) singular. The following words are almost always singular - please add more to the list if you can think of any! If you want to make one of these plural, use “types of”, “pieces of” or something similar before the noun. I have written some examples below.

research “research projects”
education “educational methods”
advice “pieces of advice”
training “training regimens”
insurance “types of insurance”
knowledge “pieces of knowledge”
work (except for “works of art”)
infrastructure “types of infrastructure”
satisfaction “methods of satisfaction”
immigration “waves of immigration”
homework “homework assignments”
information “pieces of information”
equipment “pieces of equipment”
fame “types of fame”
schoolwork “schoolwork assignments”
housework “housework tasks”
understanding “ways of understanding”

Hi, in checking TOEFL essays I sometimes have to tell the writers to use more formal language. The graders will mark you down for using informal words and slang like “gonna”, “cool”, “dude”, and so on. At the same time, you may get more points for substituting a more formal word for an informal one. I came across this informative chart which may help you choose more formal synonyms over informal ones. Feel free to add your own suggestions to this thread and I will expand the list.

Formal…Informal
Inform me …Let me know
Cancel…Drop
Contact…Get in touch
Obtain…Get
Apologise…Say sorry
Postpone…Delay
Request…Ask for
Compensate…Make up
Establish…Set up
Discover…Find out
Handle…Deal with
Investigate…Check up on
Tolerate…Put up with
Increase…Go up
Children…Kids
Many / Much…A lot of
Many / Much…Heaps of

**** modified to make the chart easier to read ****

Here is another “tip of the day”. I see many TOEFL students try to make plurals out of words which are always (or almost always) singular. The following words are almost always singular - please add more to the list if you can think of any! If you want to make one of these plural, use “types of”, “pieces of” or something similar before the noun. I have written some examples below.

Always singular word …How to make it “plural”
research…“research projects”
education…“educational methods”
advice…“pieces of advice”
training…“training regimens”
insurance…“types of insurance”
knowledge…“pieces of knowledge”
work (except for “works of art”)…“types of work”
infrastructure…“types of infrastructure”
satisfaction…“methods of satisfaction”
immigration…“waves of immigration”
homework …“homework assignments”
information…“pieces of information”
equipment…“pieces of equipment”
fame…“types of fame”
schoolwork…“schoolwork assignments”
housework…“housework tasks”
understanding…“ways of understanding”

Hi, here is a very informative article about creating better thesis statements. The thesis is probably the most important part of TOEFL essays and provides a “roadmap” for the reader - in this case the grader. So make sure to give your grader a good map! One warning, the writer says you can put the thesis statement anywhere in the essay, but the TOEFL graders are looking for it at the end of the introduction, so make sure to put it there.

faculty.ncwc.edu/lakirby/English … Thesis.htm

Hi luschen,
I raelly apperciate your help , thank you

Hi, I came across two good sources to practice your English reading:

National Geographic: ngm.nationalgeographic.com/

Scientific American: scientificamerican.com/

These are both free and have very interesting articles. The reading level is challenging, but you will pick up some good vocabulary to use on your test. In addition, you may learn some valuable information and expand your horizons, both of which are always useful when writing essays.

Thank you, I’m reading it.

Hi, here’s my tip of the day.
Transitions are very important to show development of your ideas in your essays. Without them an essay becomes just a list of reasons and examples. Transitions for beginning each paragraph are pretty easy. My favorite group of them is

First, …
In addition …
Finally …
In conclusion …

This set will get you a long way. But transitions are also important within a paragraph to move the reader through your various reasons and examples. I saw this list on another website and thought I would post it here. Many of the transitions have examples to show you how they are used. There are two more lists I will post in the next couple days.

Addition

in addition
In addition, I would like to point out that my neighbor is disturbing me late at night.

and similarly
Your life will change forever and similarly, your whole family will feel the change.

likewise
Some people have little time for a hobby, and likewise have little will to get one.

as well as
Beauty, as well as intelligence, is a remarkable quality

besides
We aren’t friends. Besides, I don’t feel it’s my place to set him straight.

furthermore
Computers are getting faster and faster these days; furthermore, their cost is getting lower and lower.

also

moreover
I’ve wanting a change for a long time, moreover, I feel I deserve one.

and then too

not only … but also
Not only is this product good for your hair, but also for the whole body.

Sequence

first(ly) initially
Initially, you should start putting a plan together.

second(ly)

to begin with
To begin with, you will need to commit a portion of your time to studying.

then
next

earlier/later
Later on there comes a stage when your skills are put to the test.

after this/that
following this/that

Consequence

as a result
I studied well and as a result, I got a high score.

thus
so

therefore
I was younger and therefore, less experienced.

consequently
it follows that

thereby
I upset my friend, thereby causing her pain.

eventually
then in that case

admittedly
Admittedly, I was not the smartest person in the class.

Contrast

however
The book is expensive, however it’s worth it.

on the other hand
She says she feels fine, on the other hand, her face is pale and she doesn’t look healthy.

despite

in spite of
In spite of the difficulties, the task was completed.

though
He still insists, though he knows that won’t do any good.

although
but

on the contrary
The music didn’t lift her spirits, on the contrary, it made her feel weak and vulnerable again.

otherwise

yet instead of
He felt unwelcome, yet instead of leaving, he stayed.

rather
Eggs for breakfast is not a good idea; I would rather have some toast.

whereas
He was her true love, whereas for him she was just another girlfriend.

nonetheless
While they didn’t trust each other, nonetheless they worked together for many years.

even though
compared with
in contrast
alternatively

2 Likes