TOEFL Experience 04.07.2020

Hi everyone.
I’d like to share my experience with the TOEFL test.

Well, obviously quarantine affected the test center organization profoundly.

A new policy (at least in my country):

• Test takers are required to bring two pieces of masks and two pairs of gloves with them
  • There should be only two test-takers in a room during the test
  • Pencils are not allowed anymore, only pens

Here are my recommendations regarding the test:
Reading:
The reading passages weren’t as hard as I had to deal with while practising. I had 4 reading passages (one of them was an experimental passage :expressionless: ).

I mainly used two books for practising The Official Guide to the TOEFL Test. 2018 and Official TOEFL iBT Tests Volume 1. At the same time, I was reading 5-6 science articles a day from different resources in order to increase my academic vocab, and improve reading comprehension.

Here is the list of them:

Write down the words you don’t know and memorize their definitions, it helps a lot.

The format of these articles is almost the same as in the test.

Listening:
The listening section was very difficult for me. There were a lot of key terms, interconnected definitions and questions were very tricky. Moreover, it was a bit problematic for me because I used to take notes using a pencil which is not allowed due to quarantine. The usage of a pen reduced my notetaking speed.

Suggestion:
After listening to an audiotape and having answered the questions do the following:
Open in front of you the transcripts of an audiotape, close your eyes and repeat sentences aloud after the lecturer. Make pauses if you cannot follow the professor at the same pace.

Speaking:
Templates, templates and again templates. Find out templates that suit you best and practice them by using a voice recorder. Listen carefully to your recorded speech and try to avoid mistakes you do next time.
Practice by using templates and voice recorder and you’ll be fine.

Writing:

I used these websites as a guide:

Integrated writing:

Independent writing:

And of course, you’re in the right place for the writing section. This forum helped me a lot to sharpen my writing skills. Special thanks @Sumejja :relaxed: who was repeatedly giving me various suggestions on the grammar and format of an essay.

My unofficial score:
Reading: 27
Listening: 27

All in all, it took me 1.5 months to prepare for the test.
Hope that the remaining results from the Speaking and Writing sections will not disappoint me.

I hope this small article would help somebody.

6 Likes

Congratulations @Oybeka98! I’m glad you did so well, and really glad I could help!

I just don’t get the pencil part - what does that have to do with quarantine? I feel like I’m missing something obvious, lol.

3 Likes

Thank you Sumejja!

I also felt strange about it. How these two things are interconnected with each other? :joy: :joy:
I asked proctors about it and they’ve shown me the requirements from the ETS where it is written that pencils should be prohibited. :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Hello,
I’m new in this forum, I was reading your posts and decided to join!
I’m taking the test in a month, have taken it before but unfortunately I have not accomplished the score required by the insitution im trying to apply to. I also found the 2020 test version way more difficult than in the past.
How can I get feedback in this forum? I find it really healpful!
BTW congratulations on your previous try !

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to our forum. What kind of feedback do you expect? The most important piece of advice is probably that you should never learn anything in order to score points or get a certificate. Instead, you should learn and study in order to gain knowledge and share ideas with other people.

1 Like