TOEFL essay - which major in college should parents suggest, a major that their child wants to study or a major related to a high-paying job?

Could you please correct my essay? Thank you so much in advance!

Which major in college should parents suggest, a major that their child wants to study or a major related to a high-paying job?

There is no doubt that suggestions from parents play a crucial role in people’s daily lives in many places. Some people say that parents should give advice on a major that their child wants to study, others disagree. Both sides have their own reasons to support their view. If I had to choose one, I would say that parents should suggest a major related to a high-paying job. I feel this way for two reasons which I will examine in this essay.

First of all, the most important reason for my opinion is that having a high-paying job makes your life stable and comfortable. In general, people often face the situation whether they buy or not depends on how much money they have in real life. Certainly, money enables people to do most of the things. Obviously, this is the reason why parents suggest a major related to a high income job since they want their child to live a stable and comfortable life. This is best exemplified by my personal experience. I wanted to be a singer while my parents wanted me to be a lawyer. Therefore I choose the major to become the one. Now, I am making a huge amount of money and my life is very stable and I do not feel any discomfort providing myself with things.

Second, a high-paying job makes people be proud of themselves and have good self-esteem. Certainly, people tend to admire other people who make a great amount of money. If they have not a well-paying job, they would not be able to talk about their jobs proudly. Evidently, having a job with a high salary is indispensable for people to be proud and have high self-esteem. This is best demonstrated by my friend’s experience. His parents suggested to select a high income job and he became a doctor. His parents always talk about how great their son listened to their suggestions and how they are so proud of himself whenever they met with their acquaintances. Overall, the suggestion a major related to a high-paying job from parents is excellent for both parents and child.

In conclusion, I am of the opinion that parent should give an advice to choose a major related to a high salary job for their child. This is because a high-paying job makes people’s lives stable and comfortable and because it makes people be proud of themselves and has a high self-esteem.

1 Like

Which subject should parents suggest: a subject their child wants to study, or a subject related to a well-paying job?

There is no doubt that parents’ advice plays a crucial role in people’s daily lives in many places. Some believe that parents should advise on their child’s choice of major, while others disagree. Both sides have their own reasons to support their view. If I had to choose one, I would say that parents should suggest a field of study that is related to a well-paying job. I hold this opinion for two reasons, which I will explore in this essay.

First of all, the most important reason for my opinion is that a well-paying job makes life more stable and comfortable. In general, people are often faced with the situation that whether to buy something or not depends on how much money they have in real life. Certainly, money enables people to do most things. Of course, this is the reason why parents suggest studying, which is connected with a well-paying job, because they want their child to have a stable and comfortable life. This is best illustrated by my personal experience. I wanted to be a singer, while my parents wanted me to be a lawyer. Therefore, I decided to major in order to become one. Now I make a lot of money and my life is very stable, and I don’t feel uncomfortable providing myself with things.

Second, a well-paying job makes people proud of themselves and gives them good self-esteem. Naturally, people tend to admire other people who make a lot of money. If they didn’t have a well-paying job, they wouldn’t be able to talk about their work with pride. Clearly, a well-paying job is essential for pride and high self-esteem. This is best illustrated by my friend’s experience. His parents suggested that he choose a well-paying job, and he became a doctor. His parents always talk about how well their son listened to their suggestions and how proud they are of him when they meet with their acquaintances. Overall, parents’ recommendation of a field of study in conjunction with a well-paying profession is excellent for both the parents and the child.

In conclusion, I believe that parents should advise their child to choose a major that is associated with a well-paying job. This is because a well-paid job makes people’s lives more stable and comfortable, and because it makes people proud of themselves and have high self-esteem.

Also, here is my proposal:

In today’s competitive job market, choosing a major in college is an important decision that can greatly impact a student’s future. Parents play a significant role in guiding their children through this process, and often face the dilemma of whether to suggest a major that their child is passionate about or a major that has the potential for high-paying job opportunities. While both options have their merits, I believe that parents should prioritize suggesting a major that their child wants to study.

Firstly, it is essential for a student to have a strong interest in their chosen major. Pursuing a major that one is passionate about can provide a sense of purpose and motivation, leading to higher academic performance and success in the long run. Additionally, a major that aligns with a student’s interests and strengths can lead to greater enjoyment and fulfillment in their future career, ultimately leading to a more satisfying life overall.

On the other hand, choosing a major solely based on its potential for high-paying job opportunities can lead to dissatisfaction and burnout in the long run. While financial stability is important, it should not be the only factor considered when choosing a major. Pursuing a major solely for financial gain may lead to a lack of motivation and interest in the subject matter, resulting in subpar academic performance and a less fulfilling career.

Moreover, it is important to note that the job market is constantly changing, and what may be a high-paying job now may not necessarily be in demand in the future. It is impossible to predict the job market trends, and therefore choosing a major based solely on financial gain can be a risky strategy. In contrast, pursuing a major that one is passionate about can lead to the development of valuable transferable skills, making one more adaptable and employable in a variety of fields.

In conclusion, while financial stability is important, parents should prioritize suggesting a major that their child is passionate about. Pursuing a major based solely on financial gain can lead to dissatisfaction and burnout in the long run, while choosing a major based on one’s interests and strengths can lead to greater academic success and a more fulfilling career.