TOEFL essay sample: Some people think that human needs...

[size=150]TOEFL essay sample[/size]

1. Some people think that human needs for farmland, housing, and industry are more important than saving land for endangered animals. Do you agree or disagree with this point of view? Why or why not? Use specific
    reasons and examples to support your answer.

Today the world is completely changed with the various innovative ideas which theman has invented. Today you will see huge glass buildings, skyscrapers coming up hereand there. This all is because; it is the man who is acquiring the land by all means.In my opinion I would support for the point that human needs for farmland, housing, industry are more important than saving land for the endangered animals.

I am from the India, where the population is increasing at an alarming rate.Also India is growing economically. So because of this, there is a gradual requirement for land. Also man is acquiring the land for the benefit of himself. There is obviously some places likes the national parks etc. which is meant for only animals and are being preserved and taken care of by man. But man has greatly benefited from the land. This has resulted in the growing of industries which in turn has led to more jobs and finally this has led to a great improvement in the economic status of the people. Now the needs of the man has changed i.e. he does not solely rely on hunting and gathering which used to be the only motive for our ancestors. Time has changed and today there
has been so much development and research in all the fields may it be agriculture,software,trade etc.The growing economy, the increased needs and the new inventions has made him to cut down the trees for his benefit.

On the other side, man has also taken care of the wild life while he has been expanded his empire. He has build various zoos, national parksin which the animals live in the same habitat in which they used to live earlier. Man has tried to duplicate their habitat in all the terms .Also great care of the animals is taken in the zoo’s and the national parks. Also man has founded various wildlife associations for taking care of the wild life. This all is done for benefit of the wild by the humans.

Therefore with the growing needs of humans, economic development, industrial development and also the population increase I think acquiring the land for his needs has been beneficial to him.

1. Some people think that the automobile has improved modern life.Others think that the automobile has caused serious problems. What
    is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your
    answer.

In my opinion the automobile has improved the modern life in one sense .Its made life much more comfortable, happier and has also made man lazier.

Life in cities has totally changed. To find the roads crowded with automobiles is a normal scenario. Man has been very innovative. His innovativeness has led him to the development of automobiles for his comfort. The development of the automobile industry has added wonders to the life of humans. They have made our life more comfortable. Its now so easy to travel long distances , go to picnics with family ,use your car to go to office. All this is possible because of the invention of automobiles. Imagine the life without automobiles i.e. depending only on bullock carts and horses for your traveling as it used to be in the olden days. Now, in today’s world there is more importance to time .Time is regarded as money. Automobiles play a very important role in saving time. They save lot of your time getting into the offices.

On the other hand the invention of automobiles has its negative side-effects too. The automobiles are responsible for the air and the noise pollution which is hazardous to the health of humans. Automobiles pollute the air which results in more carbon monoxide in air and this finally is very harmful to human health. The automobiles are also responsible for the noise pollution which may result because of the use of horns in prohibited areas such as hospitals. The automobiles have also caused the problem of traffic. In cities getting caught in the traffic during the peak hours of work is quiet normal. Also driving carelessly and recklessly may result into accidents.

Thus I would like to conclude saying that automobiles have imprved the way of modern life but we should also take some steps to save our environment from the negative effects of automobiles.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Natural History

Hi ashvarma1982,

I have made some changes in CAPITAL LETTERS:

Today the world is completely changed with the various innovative ideas which man has invented. Today you will see huge glass buildings, skyscrapers coming up here and there. This all is because it is man who is acquiring the land by all means.In my opinion I would support for the point /I WOULD SUPPORT THE IDEA that human needs for farmland, housing, industry are more important than saving land for endangered animals.

I am from the India, where the population is increasing at an alarming rate.Also India is growing economically. So because of this, there is a gradual requirement for land. Also man is acquiring the land for the benefit of himself. There is/ARE obviously some places likes/LIKE the national parks etc. which is/ARE meant for only/ONLY FOR animals and are being preserved and taken care of by man. But man has greatly benefited from the land. This has resulted in the growing/GROWTH of industries which in turn has led to more jobs and finally this has led to a great improvement in the economic status of the people IN THE COUNTRY. Now the needs of man has changed i.e. he does not solely rely on hunting and gathering which used to be the only motive for our ancestors. Time has changed and today there
has been so much development and research in all the fields may it be/BE IT IN agriculture, software, trade etc.The growing economy, the increased needs and the new inventions has made him cut down trees for his benefit.

On the other side, man has also taken care of the wild life while he has been expanded his empire. He has build/BUILT various zoos, national parks in which the animals live in the same habitat in which they used to live earlier. Man has tried to duplicate their habitat in all the terms/IN ALL RESPECTS .Also great care of the animals is taken in the zoos and the national parks. Also man has founded various wildlife associations for taking care of the wild life. This all is done for benefit of the wild ANIMALS by humans.

Therefore with the growing needs of humans, economic development, industrial development and also the population increase I think acquiring the land for his needs has been beneficial to him.

1. Some people think that the automobile has improved modern life.Others think that the automobile has caused serious problems. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

In my opinion the automobile has improved modern life in one sense. It’s made life much more comfortable, happier and has also made man lazier.

Life in cities has totally changed. To find the roads crowded with automobiles is a normal scenario. Man has been very innovative. His innovativeness has led him to the development of automobiles for his comfort. The development of the automobile industry has added wonders to the life of humans. They have made our life more comfortable. Its/IT’S now so easy to travel long distances , go to/ON picnics with family ,use your car to go to THEoffice. All this is possible because of the invention of automobiles. Imagine life without automobiles i.e. depending only on bullock carts and horses for your traveLling as it used to be in the olden/OLD days. Now, in today’s world there is more importance to time. Time is regarded as money. Automobiles play a very important role in saving time. They save lot of your time getting / TO WORK.

On the other hand the invention of automobiles has its negative side-effects too. automobiles are responsible for t air and noise pollution which is hazardous to the health of humans. Automobiles pollute the air which results in more carbon monoxide in THE air and this finally is very harmful to human health. automobiles are also responsible for the noise pollution which may result because of the use of horns in prohibited areas such as hospitals. automobiles have also caused the problem of traffic. In cities getting caught in the traffic during peak hours of work is quiet/QUITE normal. Also driving carelessly and recklessly may result into /IN accidents.

Thus I would like to conclude BY saying that automobiles have imprved the way of modern life but we should also take some steps to save our environment from the negative effects of automobiles.

[i]You will see that I have removed the definite articles from many of your sentences - check through the text again. I have written some material on the definite and indefinite articles for this site. You will find it in esl lessons in the index.

It is better to use the word car instead of automobile.

Alan[/i]

Hi allan , thanks for ur help…could u plz rate these 2 essays on the scale of 6 as compared to the rating in the TOEFL writing section