TOEFL essay sample: Only people who earn a lot of mone...

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Only people who earn a lot of money are successful. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

I believe success is the term whose definition varies from person to person. Some people thinks earning a lot of money makes you successful but in my opinion money is not the criteria to judge one’s success.

So many people earn a lot of money in their lives but still they don’t feel they are successful. In my opinion achievement is the criteria to measure success in life.
History is full of people who were not very rich but still we admire them for their achievements. I think those are the real successful people. Mahatma Gandhi didn’t earned a lot of money in his life, led a very simple life but still today all Indians remember him. Why ? Because he made people aware to fight for their rights and motivated them to make India free.

I can give my own example to elaborate this point. From past three years I am working with a company, earning a good salary, my family feels I am a successful person. But I always feel that I am not successful. When I analyzed the situation I found that for me success means doing something which will bring a revolution in the field of electronics. Something that really contributes towards the betterment of society. And so I decided to join a university for research in this field.

At last before achieving success it is really important to define success. One must know what success means to you. One’s you know that you know your path to success. And always remember success is not a destination it’s a journey which never ends.

TOEFL listening discussions: What does an unlimited parking pass include?

Hi,

I’ve written some suggestions in CAPITALS

Alan