TOEFL essay sample: All student should be required to study art and music...

Topic question: all student should be required to study art and music at secondary school. Do you agree or disagree with this?

Should or shouldn’t make art and music become official subjects at secondary school is still a matter of controversy. How do you think about that? In my opinion, it’s not a good idea at all due to three reasons: they only suit talented people, waste of time and quiet unfeasible.

The first cause is the problem of aptitude. Not all students are good at music and art. Everybody knows that they not depend on how hard have you try but were decided since you were born. Is it fair to every student? In primary school, the lessons are easy and simple, all pupils can do these with little diffident. In senior school, the syllabuses have to be changed. The higher levels they reach the more unequal they are. As a result of that, music and art instead of entertainments will become pressures to those who get no talent for them.

The second problem I want to mention here is the waste of time. In advantage, if these two subjects were added to schedule, students would have at least one hour of music per week, and one more of art. And that’s not all. Since they’re official ones, students have to spend time doing home work, prepare for classes, too. Is this necessary to those who have no intention of being an artist to waste her time like that while she could go into the detail of what she really interested in?

And the last reason for my opposition is the feasibility of the plan. Students can’t just hear teachers say, they need to practice what’ve learnt but expenditures for those kind of subjects are not small, especially for music Instruments can cost millions of dollars, and it’s too much for an evelopment country like Vietnam. We might be able to provide for some artistic schools, not all secondary schools it’s such an impractical idea, from the very start.

Do you still think students should be required to study art and music at secondary school? I think sagacious person will surely say “no”.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why is the student talking to the advisor?

HI,

Should or shouldn’t WE make art and music become official subjects at secondary school is still a matter of controversy. WHAT do you think about that? In my opinion, it’s not a good idea at all due to three reasons: they only suit talented people, A waste of time and QUITE unfeasible.

The first cause is the problem of aptitude. Not all students are good at music and art. Everybody knows that IT DOES not depend on how hard you try but THIS WAS decided BEFORE you were born. Is it fair to every student? In primary school, the lessons are easy and simple, all pupils can do these with little diffideNCE. In senior school, the syllabuses have to be changed. The higher levels they reach the more unequal they are. As a result of that, music and art instead of entertainments will become pressures to those who HAVE no talent for them.

The second problem I want to mention here is the waste of time. THE BEST SITUATION if these two subjects were added to THE schedule/TIMETABLE, students would have at least one hour of music per week, and one more FOR art. And that’s not all. Since they’re official ones, students have to spend time doing home work, prepare for classes, too. Is this necessary to those who have no intention of being an artist to waste THEIR time like that while THEY could go into the detail of what THEY ARE really interested in?

And the last reason for my opposition is the feasibility of the plan. Students can’t just hear WHAT teachers say, they need to practice what’ve learnt but expenditure for those kind of subjects IS not small, especially for music Instruments can cost millions of dollars, and it’s too much for A DEVELOPING country like Vietnam. We might be able to provide for some artistic schools, not all secondary schools it’s such an impractical idea, from the very start.

Do you still think students should be required to study art and music at secondary school? I think A sagacious/WISE person will surely say “no”.

Alan

Thank you , Mr Alan ^^