TOEFL essay sample: A person's childhood years are the most

topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A person’s childhood years are the most important years of a person’s life.

The childhood is the period in life of any individual, when the foundation of it’s charachter is laid. This is the period when a child learns to imbibe things. Researches have shown that the period upto the age of 4 years is the most critical period in the life of any person. This is the period when child is most receptive and our values, ethos and respect for all cultures can be easily inculcated.

We all know that a good building can only rest on a strong foundation. This is the period of making of a good citizen and good human being. It is also observed that most of the criminals suffer from mental disorders, the cause of which can be traced to their childhood.

Many parents are now realising this fact and it is evident from the fact that many chains of the pre school instituitions have been opened and flourishing well in India.

Childhood is the period when good reading habits can be developed in a child. It is proven that one who reads story books with interest during one’s childhood carries this to the adulthood also and is found to be a better student. Such individuals evince more interest in literature and are more socially aware and hence succesfully discharge their resposiblities of a bonafide citizen.

This period is also very significant for developing the personal traits such as good interpersonal skills, leadership skills, sincerity, diligence, motivation and ambitions. We all know that all these traits are very important for being successful in any venture that we undertake and professionaly successful.

Form the above, it can be concluded that the childhood is the most important period in making of a good human being, bonafide citizen and personally successful individual.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a university student and an employee in the student services center

Hi,

Have a look at some material I’ve written for the site on articles:

Articles in English: The vs. A/an
[size=75]http://www.english-test.net/lessons/16/index.html[/size]

Alan

While watching my young cousin play with her toys, and seeing how careless and free she seems, I wonder: Have I been the same? Every time I think of my childhood, I don’t seem to remember any careless days or happy games with my friends. But my younger years are no guide to judging childhood and I completely agree that these years are the most joyful time in one’s life. It is free of concerns and money matters; it’s just a never-ending free time.

Some people might argue that when the parents fight in front of the child and when they involve it in their quarrels, it is inevitable that the child feels unhappy. Then what if the child escapes to his grandparents’ house or goes to play with his friends? Nobody can deny that the memories he or she has of games and friends are far more than enjoyable to remember. I believe that this overcomes the negative parts of childhood.

On the other hand, when the parents mind their manners in front of the child and make sure it doesn’t miss love and care and provide him or her the most appropriate environment for the child to grow up, what more can the kid ask for to be happy? Generally, kids are believed to be innocent and evil-free, therefore they get anything they want. For example, children brought up at home are a lot happier than those who have grown up in an orphanage. This proves my view that kids are given everything they need to feel nice.

Besides, do you know anyone who remembers the nice part of his or her childhood? I don’t. This is due to the fact that people are such creatures that ignore the joy of what they already have and suffer for something they don’t yet possess. This is the ordinary pestering. However, the best way to appreciate what one has is to lose it.