TOEFL essay: People are never satisfied with what they have

Topic: Do you agree or disagree with this statement? People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something more or something different.

Here are my essay. What mark out of 5 do you think it can be graded?

Some people are content with their present life but it will never be enough to most of them. Personally, I think people often want to possess things that they have not got. They believe that what belongs to other people is better than theirs. Moreover, needs of human are boundless.

To begin with, as a proverb said, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. A person has the trend to highly appreciate others’ possessions. My sisters’s case is an example. Her small family is not satisfactory to her. She complained that her friends’ husbands were all thoughtful people and better in earning money while her husband was not. But I think, in comparison with her friends, she is a lucky one because her husband always takes a good care of her and she has a lovely baby also.

In addition, infinite ambitiousness is human’s nature. People have not only essential needs but also many other demands. Thus, the concept of “enough” seems to be too vague. A person might admit “it is enough to me” if he/she owned the world! Along with the development of science and technology, people do unceasing research and invent more and more new means to serve their lives better. Therefore, it is common knowledge in many cases that there is no existence of final satisfaction. For instance, when I had no vehicle, I wanted to ride a bicycle. Then I replaced it with a motorbike so that I could go faster and did not have to get tired of pedaling the bike. After that, I saved money to buy a car, a very comfortable and impressive means of transport. I have changed cars many times because I want to drive the most fashionable car that I can afford. If I had billions of dollars, I would consider about purchasing a helicopter to go to work.

All in all, people always try to reach new goals, higher and higher. They hope to gain happiness if they have more things or things like other people. But the more you have, the more you want. When will you have the world?

TOEFL listening discussions: Why are these young men in conversation?

1 Like

Somewhat I agree with the statement People are never satisfied with what they have; But why? Have you ever wondered why you want to gamble even after you have won for the day?
Your dream of being a millionaire is always fancier than the reality after you become one. The same luxury car no further gives you that adrenaline rush as it used to. You still lookout, after a couple of years of getting through the most coveted job.

Your dream of being a millionaire is always fancier than the reality after you become one. The same luxury car no further gives you that adrenaline rush as it used to. You still lookout, after a couple of years of getting through the most coveted job.

Have you ever wondered why? Why do things go down the scale?

The answer to this is secretly hidden in the way evolution designed our brain.

Read about the positive psychology that explains this satisfied to never being satisfied journey.

Hi, who are you trying to motive why just copying and pasting parts from your website into our forum?