TOEFL essay: It is better to have many acquaintances than to have only a few...

:slight_smile: [color=blue]It is better to have many acquaintances than to have only a few close friends.

First of all I would like to define the word acquaintance which means “A person knows to one but usually not a close friend”. Generally we have many friends at work as companion, friends at school or college as senior student or class mate, friends in family gathering whom we meet everyday, we talk to them, we invite them to our house and share our views and things all because we know the name and something in common with them. No body in this world can not live alone every one makes friends where ever they goes according to their need their nature. Having so many associate or companion means a wide area of different kinds of knowledge like religion culture and current affairs. Friends and couliges help in our day today life when we are moving from one place to another or when we are searching for a job. They are the person with whom we feel comfortable.

On the other hand if we talk about a close friend they are the people whose pictures, whose faces we have in our head regardless. A friend is someone in whom we trust to be with us at our weakest and most vulnerable. It is the actual act of trust that is the basis of friendship. Friendship is not a state of mind, it’s an act. It is a balanced relationship between people. It’s a trust that’s returned from other side also. Close friends means the people who stop us from making mistakes and help us when we do. With whom we can share our life and deepest feeling of heart.
In the last I want to say if we compare the so many acquaintances in our life and few close friend I think having one or two close friend can fulfill the requirements of our life.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a university student and an employee in the university registrar’s office

Hi,

I’ve made some amendments in CAPITAL letters:

First of all I would like to define the word acquaintance which means “A person KNOWN to one but usually not a close friend”. Generally we have many friends at work as COLLEAGUES, friends at school or college as senior studentS or class mateS, friends in family gatheringS (whom) we meet every day. We talk to them, we invite them to our house and share our views and things all because we know the name and HAVE something in common with them. Nobody in this world CAN live alone. Every one makes friends where ever they GO according to their needS OR their nature. Having so many associateS or companionS means a wide area of different kinds of knowledge like religion, culture and current affairs. Friends and COLLEAGUES help in our day-to-day life when we are moving from one place to another or when we are searching for a job. They are the PEOPLE with whom we feel comfortable.

On the other hand if we talk about a close friend they are the people whose pictures, whose faces we have in our head regardless. A friend is someone in whom we trust to be with us at our weakest and most vulnerable. It is the actual act of trust that is the basis of friendship. Friendship is not a state of mind, it’s an act. It is a balanced relationship between people. It’s a trust that’s returned from THE other side also. Close friends means the people who stop us from making mistakes and help us when we do AND WITH whom we can share our life and deepest feelingS.
FINALLY I want to say if we compare the many acquaintances in our life and few close friendS I think having one or two close friendS can fulfill the requirements of our life.

Alan