TOEFL essay example: Long vacation several short

1. Some people believe that students should be given one long vacation each year. Others believe that students should have several short vacations throughout the year. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.

Since the establishment of the modern educational system the question of free time of the students preoccupied educational policy makers. At first, finding a right balance between studying and free time was primarily motivated by economic reasons, because many families were in need of their children help. Today the issue of student’s vacations is connected mostly to their needs and wishes. Keeping in this train of thought, I would say that we all have our own views on this subject but for me it goes without saying that several short vacations is the better option.

First of all, several vacations could help students to better organize themselves. When we have only one long vacation instead to enjoy it to the full we spend a lot of time on some unimportant activities, because we do not appreciate time we have. On the other hand, when we have several short vacations we usually plan ahead of time, because time becomes valuable for us. For example, today I am working and I have only ten free days a year. For this reason I know how the time is precious. As a result, I carefully plan my activities and I am very organized person.

Secondly, when we have several vacations we have better opportunity to be more active, to travel around the world and see more interesting things. Travel is very important, because it helps us to understand the different cultures and acquire new knowledge, and all of that could have a beneficial effect later in our life. When we have only one vacation we do not travel so much, because after some time we get tired and want to go back home. According to one research, I red recently, most of the people prefer to spend major part of their vacations close to their home. On the other hand, when people do not have that much free time, and when they have to choose between staying at home and traveling they choose the later. Therefore I believe that several short vacations could help students to be more active and to explore the World.

In conclusion, I believe that the aforementioned arguments, improved organizational skills and a greater activity clearly show why several short vacations are better option for students. Needless to say people should always follow their own heart and choose whatever they find to be the right choice for the group.

TOEFL listening lectures: What is the main difference between a fad and a trend?