TOEFL essay: Before making a decision, it is important to find out if the decisi

Hello again!

Here’s my next try, it’s a little bit too long,… but it was the first time, that I had ideas immediately after I read the topic,… so, I let it flow :wink:
As ever; I would be very thankful, if somebody will revise it!! :slight_smile:
Marcella

TOPIC: Before making a decision, it is important to find out if the decision will be popular with others.

I do not agree with the statement that a made decision has to be popular with others.

I think this, because also unpopular decisions can lead to results which are important for the general public. In the next paragraphs I will strengthen my opinion with a few examples.

At first I would like to mention that it is hard to make decisions being accepted by everybody, because there is always somebody who is not satisfied with it. But also acting with the major opinion does not always lead to the best result, especially when we look at our nowadays sense of morality. A decision being very popular can cause damage to people who are in minorities. For example, if somebody decided that left handed people have to clean the streets every saturday, the majority of the citizens would profit from it, whereas it would not confirm with the human rights.

Another reason I do not agree, that decisions were just made, when they are popular, is that masses can be manipulated easily. To illustrate this opinion, I will have a look at the punishment of crime suspects. If somebody is a suspect of a crude crime, as a horrible murder, it happens that the mass claims for a death penalty supported by the media. But the reaction “teeth for teeth” isn’t always the best, because in my opinion, the difference between the judiciary and the offender is the knowledge that there is another solution than making a crime or mistreating the human rights.

Additionally, there are many decisions not being very popular, because they are very special and can be solved just by scientists. In instance, the actual economic situation is claiming for decisions leading to solutions that cause an increase of the economic growth. The majority of the people – including myself – does not know and can hardly understand, how the market really works. Therefore we need scientist to find a way out of the actual situation. But some of the decisions politicians are making at the moment, in advice of their consultants, are very unpopular, because they seem to change for the worse. But probably after a long-term period it will be shown, that these lead to positive results for the generality.

In conclusion, there are many reasons, I do not support the statement that it is important to find out if the decisions will be popular with others. I believe that if we decided only general accepted solutions, there would be a huge amount of mistreatment of human rights as well as a short time benefiting mismanagement.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Paleontology

TOPIC: Before making a decision, it is important to find out if the decision will be popular with others.

I do not agree with the statement that a made decision has to be popular with others.
I think this, because unpopular decisions can lead to results which are important for the general public. In the next paragraphs I will strengthen my opinion with a few examples.

First, I would like to mention that it is DIFFICULT to make A decision THAT WILL BE accepted by everybody, because there is always somebody who is not satisfied with it. Also, SIMPLY GOING with the major opinion does not always lead to the best result, especially when we look at THE MODERN sense of morality. A decision,WHILST being very popular WITH THE MAJORITY, can cause UNTOLD damage to people who are in minorities.
For example, if somebody decided that left-handed people HAD to clean the streets every Saturday, the majority of the citizens would profit from it, whereas it would not confOrm with human rights.

Another reason AS TO WHY I do not agree WITH decisions THAT were ARRIVED AT SIMPLY BECAUSE they WERE popular WITH THE MAJORITY, is that masses can be EASILY manipulated.

To illustrate this opinion, I will have a look at the punishment of CRIMINAL suspects. If somebody is a suspect of a crude crime, FOR INSTANCE, murder, it MAY happen that the mass claims for THE RETURN OF THE death penalty IS supported by the media.
But the reaction “AN EYE FOR AN EYE” isn’t always the best, because in my opinion, the difference between the judiciary and the offender is MY BELIEF that there is ALWAYS A BETTER solution than making THE PUNISHMENT FOR COMMITTING A crime AN EXCUSE FOR mistreating human rights.

Additionally, there are many decisions THAT ARE NOT very popular, because they are very special and can be solved ONLY by scientists. FOR instance, the PRESENT economic situation is CALLING for decisions THAT MAY LEAD to solutions that cause an increase IN economic growth. The majority of the people – including myself – do not know and can BARELY understand, how the market really works.
Therefore we need scientistS to find a way out of THIS CURRENT situation, but some of the decisions politicians are making at the moment, SOLELY ON THE advice of their consultants, are very unpopular, because they APPEAR to BRING A change for the worse. But probably after a long-term period it will be shown, that these DECISIONS HAVE INDEED lead to positive results for the general PUBLIC.

In conclusion, there are many reasons WHY I do not support the POSITION that it is important to find out if the decisions will be popular with ALL CITIZENS.

I believe that if we decided only TO ACCEPT solutions BASED ON THEIR POPULARITY, there would be a huge amount of mistreatment of human rights.

Kitos.