TOEFL Essay: A leader or a member

Hello!
Question:
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
It is better to be a member of the group than to be the leader of a group.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Answer:
I disagree with the statement because, in my view, it is better to be a leader of the group than the member. Of course the leaders have to do the hardest work, but the advantages outweigh it. I would prefer to be a leader because I could realize my own ideas, get more money and improve my personal skills.

Being a leader means the freedom to choose the way of group’s working. If you are the simple employee it’s quite hard to influence on the project making process. But when you are in charge you could turn it around. For example, in the scientific group only the chief knows the overall situation and he gives the particular tasks to the workers. So the leader is the distillation of the group, and he sole knows the entire conception of the group development.

I am certain that the leaders receive more money and privileges. A good leader is the necessary part of every group, and his wage is higher than the simple worker’s one. A leader has more possibilities for carrier growth, because the achievements of the entire group are associated with his person. If the leader realizes some project, providing profit for the company, he, probably, will receive some kind of reward or even the better job position.

In a way, a leader has more opportunities for the professional and personal evolution. At first he communicates directly with the more influence people in the society, who share the knowledge with the leader. This possibility is often closed for the simple members of the group. Also, a leader should learn time-management and he has to be a responsible man. All these abilities are absolutely essential in the common life.

Both the members and the leader of the group can benefit, working in accord. But being the leader means more than participate in activities. It also means steering of the group’s development course, earning a lot of money and improving the personal abilities.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Art History

hello!
i am a new member here and
i am about to write toefl
can you kindly suggest me some good ways to write an essay
my exam is in a week
thank you and sorry for the trouble

Hi Dsr, first it is better to post your question in its own topic. Second, a good way to learn is to read the essays on this site and learn from other students’ mistakes and triumphs. I always recommend this webpage as a good guide to writing essays in general: bookrags.com/articles/4.html

This video is excellent and gives a good summary of how to write an integrated essay: youtube.com/watch?v=Ytubzmj_j94 I would listen to all of his videos - he is a master.

Also Dsr, if you want me to take a look at one of your essays, post it in this TOEFL forum as a new topic and I will try to get to it.

Hi, I think your essay was very good. You have a pretty good structure, although you should have transition phrases to being each body paragraph. You had clear explanations and your examples were fair, but it would be better if they were more specific and more personal. You have pretty good grammar, although you have some incorrect word choices and a few phrases that sound awkward or a bit unclear. Overall, I would rate this a 4 out of 5.

thanks a lot the video is very helpful!!
I will post my essay soon
thanks once again!!