'to be judged on'?

Hello,

I’ve come across this sentence (by a native writer): “You are being judged on how you write, so learn to write well”. I’ve seen the word “judge” used with “by” and “from”, but never with “on”, so I wonder if this native writer is correct.

Thank you very much.

If you consider the meaning of the phrase:
the judgement is based on how well you write
then it hopefully becomes clear that ‘on’ can be used. It is interchangeable with ‘by’. Both are common.

Hi Abc,

‘Judged by’ has the full sense of the passive construction as in: Her performance on the dancing floor was judged by a panel of experts. ‘Judge on’ is dufferent as in: Her performance on the dancing floor was judged on her ability to interact with the other dancers. Here ‘on’ refers to ‘on the basis of’ ‘on the subject of’ ‘on the matter of’.

Alan

Thanks a lot, Beeesneees and Alan, so the meaning of the sentence remains the same in ‘You are judged by how you write’?

Yes. You can usually use either.

Ah, I forgot to ask, what about ‘judging from’? Can I use ‘from’ in that sentence?

Hi,

‘Judging from’ suggests forming an opinion based on what you see/hear/understand.

Judging from the mud on your shoes I can see that you have just been walking in the garden.

Alan