9. Read story books and Magazines in English

10. Find a penpal

may i add some more tips. . .

1. Always try to think in English
  2. Read English books ALOUD.
  3. Exaggerate your pronunciations 200%.
  4. Watch English films.
  5. Sing English songs.
  6. Be confident about yourself speaking English.
  7. Practice English at all times.

Hello Tatiana, thanks a lot for joining our community. It’s great that you want to share your learning experiences and you will find some comments on our tips below. Regards. Torsten

That’s a sound proposal as long as you make sure that what you are saying in English is correct.

That might be a good idea too but then again, when you are listening to your classmates, how do you know that what they are saying is correct English? Also, your classmates are struggeling to make correct English sentences just like you. Wouldn’t it be much better if you listened to authentic audio recordings instead of your classmates?

What if your teacher doesn’t give you any homework or doesn’t care to check it?

That’s an excellent idea!

That’s a great proposal too. Could you please give us some concrete examples that demonstrate how you put this idea into practice?

Please share your experiences with us. How many movies do you watch per month? What was the last movie you watched in the original English version? How did you like that movie? Who is your favourite actor or actress and why?

How many stories do you read per week?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Helpful suggestion[YSaerTTEW443543]

Excellent advice, as long as you’re already somewhat familiar with English sounds. Reading aloud has always been one of my mottos and pleasures. Dictionaries that include phonetics are particularly useful to learn or check the pronunciation of new or forgotten words. I used to enjoy opening dictionaries at random and read phonetics only.

Another wonderful (and unusual!) piece of advice. I often have my students do that. Trying to do voices at the same time and/or imitate some favourite character can help learners shed their inhibitions, produce a less ‘insipid’ accent as well as improve it.

This is definitely an all-time favourite with me – as my younger students know only too well (they just have to bear with me on this one, I’m afraid!). I vividly recommend a little singing from time to time, if you enjoy it, of course!

I listen tons of music with english lyrics, but it’s very difficult to understand what the singer sings. Same thing with movies without subtitles. :frowning:

What is a penpal?

Hi,
Pen Pal means something like pen friend and “in English”
means just to have somebody native spoken used to make hard work instead of you.
Just wild guess.
Penpal is probably wrong written but I don’t know this for sure.
Regards
Jan
English friend ?? Horrible…

You can find plenty of lyrics on the Internet to help you understand the words and sing along, too!

In addition to Jan’s explanation, a pen pal or pen friend is a person abroad or overseas whom you have never met, but with whom you exchange letters. A modern variant of ‘pen friend’ is ‘email friend’.

Thanks for the answers. :slight_smile:

I can assure you that I cannot sing in tune and my next-door neighbour ’ll never forgive myself for that. :smiley:

It can’t be that bad if it makes you happy, Rollo! Anyway, don’t you give it up, unless it’s a matter of sanity! Maybe you can reach some kind of compromise with your neighbour: they put up with your singing and you, well, there’s bound to be something you don’t like about them, too :slight_smile: !