Tick tock - a sound you know well from clocks and watches

These are the words that i spoke in my recording. Your task is to put them into sentences with the right punctuation -

Time flies you cannot they move at such irregular intervals.

Good luck!

Alan

3 Likes

Hello, Alan, many thanks for the wonderful story about time which originated in the city with famous Big Ben and maybe it`s Big Ben who whispered you the words and you told them to us. Time flies, they cannot move you at such irregular intervals.

3 Likes

As I understand, the task is to just add punctuation to the words so as to create several sentences. If I understand correctly, we are not allowed to change the order of the words. So your suggestion doesnā€™t work Iā€™m afraid. What do you think?

1 Like

But Alan said this is a puzzle, therefore we should be allowed to change the order of the words so that they fit in our sentences and obviously, we have to add the right punctuation.

2 Likes

Aha, nice ) I really doubted that that was correct, but as at that moment I was reading Alice in Wonderland, and after listened the discussion of professors why this book is for adults, and how Carrol 150 ago described the examples of the theory of relativity of time in his book, in this context I rearranged words, thinking of Alice, of course it doesnt make sence and correct variants maybe are the following Time flies you cannot, they move at such irregular intervals. or Time flies you cannot. They move at such irregular intervals. What do you think Torsten?

3 Likes

In my humble opinion, the only way to create at least grammatically correct sentences with this sequence of words is this: ā€˜Time flies. You cannot. They move at such irregular intervals.ā€™ But this would mean that there isnā€™t any contextual connection between them.

2 Likes

This is a bit of a cheat, Iā€™m afraid.

In the first sentence ā€˜timeā€™ is used as a verb and this is an implied question -

Time flies? (measure how long flies take to move from one place to another?) You cannot. (It isnā€™t possible to time their movements). They (the flies) move at such irregular intervals (thatā€™s why it isnā€™t possible).

Alan

3 Likes

Now I got it and it makes sense :+1:

1 Like

Great story and very interesting puzzle! Thank you Alan :grin:
I want to start to transcribe the recording, here is the first part (about 30 seconds):
Tick tock, tick tock, tick tockā€¦ Do you know what Iā€™m talking about? Iā€™m talking about the way we describe the sound of watches and clocks maybe. And of course, the important thing for another word they tell us is time.

3 Likes

Yes, the puzzle is great! I wouldnā€™t have thought at this solution ever. Because of ā€œtime fliesā€ which is weirdā€¦
Maybe it would be better to write it ā€œtime-fliesā€, meaning flies who show the time? Or is it ok the way it is?

2 Likes

As Alan has already written the question ā€˜time flies?ā€™ is perfect English making perfect sense. It shows how versatile the English language really is. As he has explained, ā€˜timeā€™ here means ā€˜measureā€™ as in ā€˜I timed myself running five hundred meters and was very happy with the resultā€™.

2 Likes

Oh yes, thank you, I understand. Itā€™s perfect now.

2 Likes

And I assume in written German itā€™s tik-tak, while in Ro. itā€™s tic-tac.

1 Like

Hello!
Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock!
Do you know what Iā€™m talking about? Iā€™m talking about the way we describe the sound of watches and clocks maybe. And of course, the important thing, the four-letter word they tell us, is the time.

1 Like

Actually, I think itā€™s spelled ā€˜tick tackā€™ or even ā€˜ticktackā€™ in German and itā€™s regarded as an interjection.

1 Like

Interjection, indeed.

2 Likes

Letā€™s continue transcribing the story of the time, or it will be soon forgottenā€¦

Time is represented as a picture when we see an old man with a long white beard who is carying a scythe which is a long handled curved knife or blade which is used to cut corn or grass.
And when we see him, we realise how important time is.
Itā€™s used in lots of expressions, we talk about getting time off, which means we have free time from our job, or what we usually do, we can take our time, which means that we relax, we donā€™t rush, and there is also the expression doing time, which means that you are in prison.

The old man Time, described in the story:
father_time3

2 Likes

The American way is tick tock, exactly as Alan says.
I heard it in a movie with Sandra Bullock on TV this evening.
:blush:

2 Likes