Through his hat

Test No. [color=blue]incompl/advan-41 “Talking through his hat”, question 2

Whatever you do take no notice of him because he’s not thinking straight - he’s talking his hat.

(a) up
(b) through
(c) at
(d) under

Test No. [color=blue]incompl/advan-41 “Talking through his hat”, answer 2

Whatever you do take no notice of him because he’s not thinking straight - he’s talking through his hat.

Correct answer: (b) through

Hi everybody! I don’t understand exc. ‘through his hat’
Thank you for your help.
Pupil

Hi Pupil,

As you have noticed, the English language is full of idioms - a fact that makes learning English both, interesting as well as challenging.
Fortunately enough, in Alan’s tests you often can figure the meaning of an idiom:
If you take a look at the sentence in question you will find that a person who talks through their hat doesn’t know what they talk about:

‘Whatever you do take no notice of him because he’s not thinking straight - he’s talking through his hat.’[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A balancing act[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten, thank you
Pupil

I don’t see that idiom talking through the head and I never heard it only I heard:
talking through your hat-we say this when somebody speaks stupidity,/ talks nonsense/rubbish/ chatters away,/waffles on, /talks a load of waffle

waffle:(n) (U) (BrE) (informal)= language that uses a lot of words but does not say anything important or interesting