Three things you need to be a successful English learner

Hello Inga,

I think that you sound wonderful. Similar to Torsten, I wonder how you learned to speak English so well. This is Tom Kane writing. Another question I have is, “How long have you been studying the English language?”

We are here to help you in the forum and I look forward to hearing from you.

Take care, Inga!

I’m not so sure learning english is about will. To me, it’s more about interest. I used to play video games alot and games were in english, not french. Most places games are in their native language, but not here, more and more now, but it used to be all in english so if you’re playing a game and you’re stuck, you have to find a way and if the game is in english well, you’re forced to improve. My friends that plays video games are much better at english then my friends that doesn’t. I love Ice Hockey as well, and I had to watch games in english as i grew up. If i wanted information i was looking for english websites/forums as there was more information. Same for online games, alot are english so again if I played i was improving, same with music.

Learning english never been hard for me, just by doing day to day stuff i was getting better. Learning English can be the easiest thing to do, if you actually have interest in it. If you never use it then you’ll have some problem learning it.

Hello Kostitsyn,

Please forgive me if I am mispronuncing your name. Thanks so much for your insight. You are correct! As in most things, if you truly have an interest in something, it is much easier, and almost fun, than if you are forced to do something. Learning English is certainly no different.

I hope you have a chance to post a voice recording.

Take care,

Tom Kane

hi this is joao fonseca, I do agree, I faced a lot of difficulties in writing, once I started writing all word in a sentence I’ve got some benefits.

I should be able to next week-end Tom. Hopefully my recorder works fine.

Hi Joao,

Hey, thanks for your input. I appreciate it a great deal. You’re correct, just by writing and speaking everyday, you will naturally get better.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks much,

Tom Kane

Hi Kostitsyn,

That sounds great! I look forward to hearing from you. I’m sure your recorder will be fine!

Let me know when you’re set up.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Karl,

You are right. Learning should be fun. However, if English is not your native language you need to change some of your habits to learn it. And in order to change you habits you need to at least some level of self-discipline. Fun alone won’t do the trick.

Let me know what you think.

I also look forward to hearing your voice.
Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A balancing act[YSaerTTEW443543]

As I said, I never really had to change my habits. I might be a rare breed, but it’s just been automatic for me. I grew up learning english here and there and as I got older I needed to get better for different reason, playing online games, reading and writting on forums. Sure, at first I was pretty bad just like when you try anything new, but just by doing what I liked I got better.

I’ve somewhat tried to learn Svenska and I couldn’t. I never have to use this language. I’ll never look at the Swedish news or anything.

It might have been easier for me considering my Country is at 70% english, but I’ve never changed my habits, I’ve just done what I liked and what I wanted to do and I got better. Honestly video games is the ebst way to learn a new language. If you like role playing game, you’ll improve no matter what.

Hello Kostitsyn,

That’s a very interesting story. No wonder you can write English so well. I just wanted to write you a note to say HELLO!

Talk to you soon,

Tom

Speaking English to myself… That’s a good idea. :slight_smile:
Beyond a joke, I am a teacher of English. I graduated from the university almost 9 years ago. When I was a student we did courses in Phonetics, Grammar, Oral Practice, less in Listening and Video. In fact, very little of listening and video. I think my greatest problem is listening.

Hi Inga,

Thanks a lot for your latest voice message. I was thinking maybe we could start some kind of online voice exchange project. It would be great if you could invite your students to record voice messages here on the forum and I’m sure other forum users will respond to them.

What do you think?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The five star bedroom[YSaerTTEW443543]

Dear Torsten…

I think I had suggested long before some kind of [color=blue]voice message exchange to enable members with pronouciation difficulties. Expecting soon the idea to be executed…thanks.

Dear Sahid,

When are you going to start using our voice message exchange system which has been up and running for a coupe of weeks now?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Taking a corner fast[YSaerTTEW443543]

Well, I can discuss it with my students, but later, when they return from their holidays. I told them about English-test.net and the possibilities it offers, but they are too busy with their networks and applications like Classmates, In Contact, Facebook… :slight_smile:

Hi Torsten…

Really I felt like hearing a synthetic computer voice when I listen to your voice message…! It seems like you have a pre-programmed voice to mediate the English lessons to your students…

Here comes my voice with more of a Indian accent or pronunciation.

Please tell me how far I am keeping the correct syllables together.

Thanks for listening and re-recording…

Have a nice day…

Hi Torsten…

When I open other voice messages including mine, a voice message player is popping up and twitting out the message. But when I open your voice messages (two of them) I am hearing message just from your post itself. What is the technical secret…? Or anything wrong with my sound reproduction system…?

Can you please guide me if anything to be done.

Thank you…

I can’t agree with you, Sahid.
Torsten’s voice sounds lively and encouraging to me. May be too cheerful… :slight_smile:

hello,

The willingness of being successful is the most important tool to become successful person. Remember actions speak louder than words.

Regards

HI
I think the most important thing is to practice a lot and try to memorise what you study.Because practice makes a man perfect.You said it in your mail that we must use capital letters when it requierd. I m trying to follow your rules. How’s it ?