This doesn't sound right

How would you correct this to make it sound sense?

2 Likes

Haha ha…In fact, I need to understand first what are you saying, sir?
? Walked and rocked after his head was cut off.

2 Likes

Hi Mona,

Yes, it does sound odd, doesn’t it? Grammatically it should be ‘after his head had been cut off’ but that makes no sense. You therefore have to say - Afterwards his head was cut off. In other words you use the adverb and not the conjunction. Does that make sense now?

3 Likes

Hello, sir. Thank you very much for your reply. at first I hesitated about “cut off”, then I used google browser navigation to be sure, but I still do not understand the whole sentence. Could you explain what you said, please?
Best regards

2 Likes

Hi Mona,

You are a keen girl and I am very pleased that you continue to support our site. ‘Cut off the head’ is to execute somebody. King Charles 1 was executed and for a time England was a republic. This statement about him is a joke because if his head had been cut off, clearly he couldn’t talk. The use of ‘after’ is wrong because that it was the sentence suggests. What you need is the adverb ‘afterwards’ which means ‘later’ and that would make sense because in that case it means - He walked and talked and then later his head was cut off. Is that better?

Alan - your patient teacher

3 Likes

Hello, Sir Alan. Ha ha ha …Thank you very much for your patience. I´m not smart enough to understand all the meanings. Either you believe me or do not believe me, sir. English.best as well as English-
test.net are unique and attractive sites, and have a something special. The secret is that you all are excellent coaches and teachers. You are keen,too. Perhaps also your patience. You are very helpful and encourage to your students, and lot of other characteristics and a advantages. Finally, I have no enough words to express my thankfulness. I’m so grateful to you , sir.
Your patience (longanimity) requester
Mona Ramzi

2 Likes

keen = enthusiastic…

1 Like