There were many/a lot/lots/a number of clouds in the sky.

Hi teachers,

There were many/a lot/lots/a number of clouds in the sky. Are all options correct? Which one is more common?

In Pakistan, you see many/a number/a lot of electricity towers/pylons/posts standing on the side of the roads. Please correct it. Does "electricity towers/pylons/posts need the definite article? Can I also use “beside” in place of “on the side of”?

Many thanks.

@many’ would not take ‘of’:
There were many clouds in the sky.
There were a lot of clouds in the sky.
There were lots of clouds in the sky.
There were a number of clouds in the sky.
They’re all correct. ‘A number of’ has a sense of less clouds than the others indicate. They’re all common.

In the same way:
In Pakistan, you see many electricity towers/pylons/posts standing at the side of the roads.
In Pakistan, you see a number of electricity towers/pylons/posts standing at the side of the roads.
In Pakistan, you see a lot of electricity towers/pylons/posts standing at the side of the roads.

‘Beside’ would be okay there.

You don’t need the article, but towers/pylons are different things to posts for me, and you’ll notice that I’d prefer ‘at the side’ to ‘on the side’ though both are acceptable in this context.
tower/pylon post

Thank you very very very much for the pictures to make it more easy for me. You are great. Madam BN

Actually, it made it easier for me. :slight_smile:
Using a picture made the differences far simpler to explain.