there in nothing young people can teach older people

It must be admitted that in order to make comprehensive analysis as to whether there in nothing young people can teach older people, different viewpoints on that matter must be taken into consideration. Indeed, some people may suggest that the younger generation is free of problems and that they do not have enough life’s experience in order to be able to teach something older people. However, i believe that in such fields such as high tech, low technology as well as computers young generation definitely has advantage on older generation.

The most solid piece of evidence supporting my view point is that young people grew up with computers. Computer has a huge impact on everyday life of young people. This tool is natural surroundings of our generation and we know how to work with it the best way that possible. One may suggest that although older people did not have computers when they were young, today they can learn and master those skills as good as young people do. However, i think it is definitely will not be the same. For young generation to work with computer is the same as to drive or even to walk. So the level of confidence that young people have with computers is not the same level as older people have.

Take for example my mother. My mother is a teacher at school. And since she has started teaching, different things in educational system have changed. One of the major changes is that today she has to make all her teaching trough computers. At the beginning she had hard time adjusting and learning all the functions. Since she has never used them before. It took my brother and me more than three weeks to explain to her how to operate each program. Today my mother is working with different programs better than I am. But in my opinion without my help it could be much more difficulty for her to perform her tasks.

The points listed above suggest that in my opinion young people can teach older people as well as older people can teach young people.

Thank you :slight_smile:

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and his student

It must be admitted that in order to make comprehensive analysis as to whether there in nothing young people can teach older people, different viewpoints on that matter must be taken into consideration.
Indeed, some people MIGHT suggest that the younger generation is free of problems and that they do not have enough life’s experience in order to be able to teach something TO older people.
However, (I) believe that in such fields such as high tech, low technology as well as computers THE youngER generation definitely HAVE AN advantage OVER THE older generation.

The most solid piece of evidence supporting my point OF VIEW is that young people HAVE GROWN up with computers.
THE computer has MADE a huge impact on THE everyday life of young people.
This tool is THE natural HABITAT of our generation and we know how to work with it IN the best possible way.
One MIGHT suggest that although older people did not have computers when they were young, today they can learn and master those skills as good as young people.
However, (I) think it WOULD definitely not be the same.

For THE young generation to work with A computer is the same as TO drive A CAR or even walk. So the level of confidence that young people will have with computers is not the same level as older people WILL have.

Take for example my mother. My mother is a teacher at school, and since she started teaching, different things in THE educational system have DRASTICALLY changed.
One of the major changes is that today she has to make all her teaching tHrough computers.
At the beginning she had A hard time adjusting and learning all the functions OF IT,
BECAUSE she has never used A COMPUTER before.
It took my brother and me (CORRECT) more than three weeks to explain to her how to operate each program.
Today my mother is working with different programs better than I am, but in my opinion without OUR help it WOULD HAVE beEN much more difficult for her to perform her tasks.

The points listed above suggest that in my opinion young people can teach older people as well as older people can teach young people.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

You are now writing with much more confidence Jenny. You need to recognise that you are weak in the usage of ARTICLES. This is holding back your progress. Check them out.

Kitos. 7.5/10

Hi Kitos, i’ ve always been weak in the usage of articles, in my native lang there are not articles, therefore i dont really see the point of them :slight_smile:
and to tell you the truth i dont know when to use them…

Good morning Jenny. It really is easy to learn when to use an article.

I work with with A computer. (I work with computerS.)
I drive A car. (I drive carS.)
I read A book. (I read bookS.)

In the examples above the article is singular.
If you don’t use the articlethe sentence needs to be changed
to a plural form, as in the bracketed version.

Open THE door.
Close THE window.
Walk THE dog.

In the examples above the definite article signifies a specific item.

THE door/window/dog.
Not A door/window/dog, which could mean any door/window/dog.

Kitos.

yes, but what about generation, advantage and life - you cant really count them but still there is “the” infront of those words
:frowning:

Hi Jenny, what is the context of the sentences in which these examples are used?

“This generation of fools.”
“To take advantage of someone.”
“Life is wonderful.”

I don’t need to use “the” in front of any of these phrases.

Articles are used to clarify the importance or singularity about the subject.

ohh, sorry that i did not mention that in the first post - i took all this words from my essay above.

“THE youngER generation definitely HAVE AN advantage OVER THE older generation.”
“THE everyday life of young people”

Sorry for the slow reply Jenny. I had to walk the dogs.

“THE youngER generation … a specific grour of peoeple.
HAVE AN (or THE) advantage. Either of the two articles can be used. I showed an alternative.
OVER THE older generation.” … again, a specific group of people.
“THE everyday life of young people” A specific time-frame is being shown here.

Kitos.

thats ok, i appreciate your help very much!

kitos, i still dont understand that - the, has to come in front of countable specific nouns.
but as you wrote before and gave 3 examples , with those words- we said that we dont put “the”
so how i can be sure when i should use article

the, has to come in front of countable specific nouns. (I don’t think I said specific countable nouns Jen.)

“He’s gone for the keys.” (The keys he lost yesterday.)
“The coal is burning fiercely.” (The coal on our fire.)
“The medicine is working.” (The medicine he needed.)

All uncountable nouns after “the.”

I think that the best way for me to understand those thinks is to speak, read and write in english -otherwise it just doesn’t really work :frowning: