The use of either meaning both. Help please

A: I have two sentences here. Which one do you think is the correct one?
B: Either.

A: I have two sentences here. Which one do you prefer?
B: Either.

Would you please be so kind as to explain to me how to use it properly when it means ‘both’?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Please note that this should read ‘explain to me’. If you say 'either one of those/them you refer to one single item while both means two.

3 Likes

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I’ve corrected my mistake. But I was wondering do you always have to use ‘either one of them’ or can you simply say ‘either’ just like I did?

3 Likes

I would say it’s usually ‘either one’ at least.

3 Likes

Good question. I personally wouldn’t say just ‘either’ that way but let me pass this question on to some of our native speakers and language professionals such as @Alan, @Andrea, @Anglophile, @Sumejja and @RyanBell to name but a few :wink: .

3 Likes

For me just ‘either’ on its own would be acceptable. Likewise the negative ‘neither’ would suffice.

4 Likes

Thank you Torsten and Alain, for replying. I have another sentence coming up.The last one for this week.

3 Likes

Masme, please note that either (this or that) and neither (‘not this’ or ‘not that’) are used to refer to a situation where we have only TWO units. So, the word one in ‘which one’ and in ‘either one’ is not necessary.

• There are two apples; you may take either.
  • You have two apples; which will you choose?
  • Either of the candidates is eligible. (This implies that there are only two candidates)
2 Likes

Thank you Anglophile, your information is most useful.

2 Likes

Hi Lawrence,

I agree with the first two.

I would rather say: “Either candidate is eligible”

Either already refers to a choice between two possibilities.

3 Likes

Hi Andrea,

Yes, I read something similar: 'Either party was financially supported by an oil company. But Anglophile’s sentence is not wrong. I think you will agree with me on that.

2 Likes

Yes, ‘Either candidate is eligible’ is okay. You have used ‘either’ as an adjective here. When it is ‘either of’, it becomes a noun. The problem arises when you have to address two people and say to them, “Either of you may come forward”. (Here I think we need to invariably use it so)

People tend to say either of the two candidates is eligible, which is tautological.

3 Likes