The same problem

I’ve got the same problem and bit more. Some time I can’t to understand anything. After an houer when I listened to my interlocutor I started to understand more and more… :oops:

Hi dear! You have difficult problems with your spelling as well!!!

Hi, Emo!

What exactly is your problem? Perhaps you can explain it a little further…
You need much practice in writing, I suppose. I would suggest that you start with something simple such as children’s books in English. Just try to spell the words correctly first by looking at them, later by yourself. I am sure Torsten has a few good ideas, too.

Pressman, I think you are being a little impolite.

Sunny

Hi Sunny! Many thanks for your notice.
Regards
P.

Hi Emo,

Thank you for posting your question, that’s the first step to finding a solution. In Bulgarian you write as you speak as vice versa. In English it’s a bit different. For example, the word [color=blue]opposite is pronounced differently from the word [color=blue]site as in [color=blue]building site or [color=blue]website. Even to native speakers it is often a challenge to spell words correctly.
So, what you can do is the following: [color=blue]Before you read an English word you should listen to how it is pronounced properly. Take an audio CD or tape that comes with the script (the printed version of the spoken text). For example, Pimsleur audio CD’s are an excellent resource to practise your listening skills and build up your vocabulary.
Try to imitate the speaker on the audio CD, say the word out loud at least 5 times until you can pronounce it properly. Only then you should look up how the word is spelled. Then try to write the word yourself. When you compose you message on the computer - always use a spell checker. Microsoft Word provides this feature and it’s very useful. In addition you can type a word into Google and check the correct spelling. Let us know why you think.

Sunny, it is very good that you share you give advice and support to other members in the forum. I like the way you try to put yourself into the other person’s shoes and see things from their perspective. Please, do continue to create lessons for beginners - a lot of people will appreciate that. :wink:

Pressman, as you know the written word carries a lot of weight on an Internet forum because we can’t see each other face to face and you might want to analyze what you say and why before you do so. Give it some thought. You obviously have more life experience than many other forum members so it would be good if your messages reflected that fact.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Scheduling an appointment.[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi,
Many thanks everybody. I’ll tray to improve my in writhing english. Yes, I know very well my problem, but beliеve me it’s not so easy to do.
Any way, I hoope my practise in this forum can help me.
Thanks again!
EMO

Hi Emo,

Have you got MS Word installed on your computer? If so, do you know how to use the spell checker? If you run your message throught the spell checker you will find that the following words are spelled differently from your version:

I’ll try
writing
English
believe
anyway
hope
practice (noun)

As a matter of fact, your English is quite good. You can express your ideas and you master constructions such as [color=blue]I’ll try to. Correct spelling is not so much a question of intelligence - it is rather a question of how well you can use software features.

Of course, you have to know the meaning of the words too because [color=blue]tray is an English word but it’s very different from try for example.

Maybe, someone here on the forum can make more suggestions as to how you can improve your spelling. At any rate we will find a solution together.

Regards
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: New citizen calling utility department to find out about garbage collection schedule.[YSaerTTEW443543]

George Bernard Shaw once claimed that ‘fish’ could be spelt like ghoti if you take the sound of ‘gh’ as in rough the ‘o’ of woman and ‘ti’ as in nation.
However nobody would think of a water creature when reading ghoti, because there are of course some patterns of spelling in English, but it can be tricky to figure them out.

As a foreigner living in England it sometimes surprises me how bad some English people are at spelling. This is the result of different learning methods. I learned the spelling before the pronunciation, as opposed to native speakers who had the change of getting used to the sounds a long time before the picked up a pen. Given that there are around 44 different sounds (depending on dialect) in the English language, but only 26 letters to represent them, it becomes clear why English hasn’t got a phonetic spelling system.

It is therefore important that you learn English in differnt ways. You could even treat the English spelling and its pronunciation as two different languages. Try to learn, as Torsten said the pronunciation first, and then the ‘secret code’ of it. It may sound a bit childish to regard the English spelling as a code, but one should never forget , that the ultimate ‘language learner’ are children. Although, especially at the beginning, it might feel very uncomfortable to use words, in speaking, of which you don’t know the spelling, it will surely pay off in long term.

If you want to learn a language you have to feel uncomfortable at some stages, you will get rewarded. It’s like jumping from the ten-metre platform.

Regards
Dotti

Dear Torsten,
You are absolutely right. Thank you. For sure I’ve spell check, but if I use it, haw you will understand my ENGLISH knolling :idea: :shock: . Yes I need a solution to improve my written skills. Be sure I’m not stupid just my English is veeery bed. :slight_smile:

Best Regards
EMO

Thank you madam,
Till now only you really help me.

Regards
EMO

EMO,

If you like I can make some comments on each of your messages and over time you will improve your [color=blue]writing skills and your [color=blue]written English.
Of course I know you are intelligent - else, how would you have found our website :wink:
You can say I’ve check[color=blue]ed the spelling or I’ve spell check[color=blue]ed the spelling (because [color=blue]I’ve indicates that you are using Present Perfect so you need the Past Particple of the base verb.) Sounds more complicated than it actually is.
Please, check the spelling of the question word [color=blue]how. (How did you spell it in your message?)
Also, what is the difference between b[color=blue]ed and b[color=blue]ad? Both words might sound similar but they have very different meanings.

Finally, what do you think is the best way to improve your spelling?

Regards
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Cleaning service customer calls company to make a complaint.[YSaerTTEW443543]