The post-war return

THE POST-WAR RETURN

• More than 2.3 million people fled their homes during the BiH war. What problems do they face on their return?
  • A challenge faced by the local authorities and the International Police Task Force is that, often, people are occupying someone else’s home. What can be done in these cases?
  • How important is a Peace Keeping Army in post-war construction of countries?

The war in Bosnia was a civil war it means that the population of Bosnia i Herzegovina struggled between them. Many people had to flee their homes if they wanted to save their lives leaving all their properties. It was a difficult situation for them but they had not election in that moment and they had to choose between stay in their homes and wait to a certain death or to run away until the situation in their country will get better.
They went to other countries or to refugee camps where they remain some years until they could come back to their homes and their lives were not in any danger. But, what happened with their homes while their owners were away? Many houses were demolished or burned, others houses were occupied for different people and the minority are abandoned. So when refugees returned to their homes, some of them came across with their houses into ruins, the luckiest came across their houses abandoned and almost without any damage and the rest of them they saw that into their own houses are occupied by other people and many times those people were their earlier neighbours.
This was one of many troubles that the local authorities had to face when the refugees started to return. They had to mediate between them and they try to give back the houses to their true owners. That was not so easy because many times there were not documents where they can certify who is true owner. The International Police had to work carefully in order to maintain the peace during the occupation of the earlier refugees.
About the last question I can talk in first person because I had the change of being working to Peace Keeping Army in several countries- one of them it was Bosnia- which had finished their wars and I can say that they are very useful to rebuild a country. Their main task is to keep the peace until the situation is safe to the population but as well as they help to rebuild roads, bridges, historical buildings, etc, which they were destroyed during the war.
The post war is very hard and we have to help to any country that it is in this situation because we do not know whether some day we will be in same situation, I hope not.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and an HR interviewer

THE POST-WAR RETURN

• More than 2.3 million people fled their homes during the BiH war. What problems do they face on their return?
  • A challenge faced by the local authorities and the International Police Task Force is that, often, people are occupying someone else’s home. What can be done in these cases?
  • How important is a Peace Keeping Army in post-war construction of countries?

The war in Bosnia was a civil war. THAT means that the population of Bosnia AND Herzegovina struggled FOR DOMINANCE.
Many people had to flee their homes leaving all their properties BEHIND if they wanted to save their lives.

It was a difficult situation for them but they had not election in that moment and they had to choose between stayING in their homes and FACING certain death or to run away until the situation in their country WAS RESOLVED.
They went to other countries or to refugee camps where they remainED FOR some years until they could come back to their homes KNOWING THAT their lives were not in any danger. But, what happened with their homes while their owners were away?

Many houses were demolished or burned, others houses were occupied BY different people and the minority WERE abandoned. So when THE refugees returned to their homes, some of them RETURNED TO FIND their houses in ruins.
The luckieR ONES came TO FIND BACK their houses SIMPLY abandoned and almost without any damage , WHILE the rest of them they saw that their own houses WERE occupied by other people, and many times those people were their earlier neighbours.

This was one of many troubles that the local authorities had to face when the refugees started to return. They had to mediate between them and TO try to give back the houses to their true owners. That was not so easy because many times there were no documents THAT COULD certify who WAS THE true owner. The International Police had to work carefully in order to maintain the peace during the occupation of the earlier refugees.
IN REGARD TO the last question, I can talk in THE first person because I had the chanCe TO work WITH THE Peace Keeping Army in several countries- one of THESE COUNTRIES was Bosnia- who had finished their wars, and I can say that they are very useful IN rebuildING a country.

Their main task is to keep the peace until the situation is safe to the population, but they ALSO help to rebuild roads, bridges, historical buildings, etc, which were destroyed during the war.

The post war is very hard, and we have to help any country that it is in this situation because we do not know whether some day we will be in same situation, I hope not.

A good informative essay Lighgun. 7.5/10

Kitos.

Thanks Kitos, I like do essays when I have knowledge about the topic, but I like more to see your replies with my essay corrected because I can realize where I have mistakes and how I will have to write in the following essays.

:slight_smile: OK, it’s called “learning”. :-))

Kitos.