The position of adverbs when there are two or more aux verbs.

Hi Alan,

What is the position of adverbs in a sentence when there are two or more auxiliaries.
Is front, mid or end position. Most grammars say that the adverb comes after the first auxiliary. I want your opinion, please.

Therefore, is the following correct: David Carradine would never have committed suicide./ Sometimes you also hear: David Carradine would have never committed suicide./ or David Carradine never would have committed suicide.

I also have a question about the following sentence:

She must sometimes have wanted to run away. This seems to me logical deduction, let me explain: ‘She was so unhappily married, that she sometimes wanted to run away.’

Thanks

Hi Marc,

It sounds better to put the adverb between the auxiliary and the main verb as in: I have never understood. When there are two, it is best to put the auxiliary between the two as in: I would never have understood. The point of the positioning is to insert the adverb within the auxiliary before the tense is fully expressed . That’s why ‘would have never’ doesn’t work. In your last sentence the position of the adverb follows the same point I have made above.

Alan
Alan