the phrase with "no one"

Hi,

They could afford to pay only $40000 for a new home, and they were quite dismayed to learn that there were no one available in that price range

===>>> This is a mistake correcting question, and it is wrong in the phrase “no one”, so “no one” just has the meaning of"nobody"? It never has the meaning of “not anything”? (I mean, “not any new home” in this very sentence)

Many thanks
Nessie

Here, it sounds OK:

“No one ivory tower could be enough for this native.”

“No one ivory tower”?

No one = no single thing

“The term Ivory Tower designates a world or atmosphere where intellectuals engage in pursuits that are disconnected from the practical concerns of everyday life.”

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_tower

But “no one ivory tower” still sounds a bit weird to me. Could you please give me another example?

Which part don’t you understand?

Do you understand these, for example?

1. No one ordinary person can can impose their will on this forum.
  2. In those four boroughs where no one party had overall control there was a much more pronounced rise in Labour support.
  3. In Mozambique, there is a wide diversity of languages and in some provinces no one language is dominant.

No Molly, I can’t understand any of them. I think “no” simply means “not any”, and so, in your sentences, “one” should be omitted…

I’m not a whizz at English, but I think you meant “No” instead of “No one”. :slight_smile:

How about here?

1. There are no two people affected by drink in the same way.
  2. No two amendments can be on the floor at the same time.
  3. Since no two mice are identical, let alone two human beings, replacing X would make a difference.

The one, two, three, etc. are there for emphasis.

I agree with you about cases of “no + two/ three/etc +noun”, but " no + one + noun" still seems very odd to me, Molly. :o:O

Maybe you just need time to adjust to it.

Similar expressions with emphasis added:

Not one person will help.
Not one single person will help.

Who came to the party?

Nobody.
Nobody at all.

Who came to the party?

Not a soul.
Not one single soul.

Hi, nessie.
Where did you take this sentence? ‘One’ is not followed by a noun, it is used instead of it. If we omit ‘one’, what should we use instead? (I ask, I don’t know) :slight_smile:

??

no one person…

“Person” is a noun there.

:slight_smile: that there were no one available

Sorry?

As for your sentence, it should be:

They could afford to pay only $40000 for a new home, and they were quite dismayed to learn that there were NONE available in that price range.

…it could also be “…that there was not one available…”

Thanks a lot, Prezbucky. I know the use of “one” or “not one” in that sentence is correct, I just wonder if it’s really wrong to use “no one” in this case. So you also think “no one” is not natural?

Hi Nessie

‘No one’ is not only unnatural in your sentence, it is also grammatically incorrect. It is also not possible to use ‘one’ or ‘not one’ in your sentence because the verb is plural (were). Note Prezbucky’s use of ‘was’ with ‘not one’.

I agree with Prezbucky that you should use ‘none’ instead of ‘no one’ in your sentence.

I can’t think of an example where “no one” has the meaning “not anything”; but perhaps another member can.

To return to the question of “no one” + noun:

1. I knocked, but no one was at home.

— here “no one” is a negative pronoun, and has the meaning “nobody”.

1. No one person can answer every question here.

— in combination with a noun, “no” and “one” have a strongly emphatic sense: “no single person” in contrast with “more than one person”. Thus the sense here is:

2a. No person on his own can answer every question here [but perhaps two or more people can].

1. Not one person can answer every question here.

— “not” and “one” here have a sense of “not even as few as one”; the position of “not” gives it a strongly emphatic sense, i.e.

3a. [I want to emphasise the fact that] not even as few as one person can answer every question.

Best wishes,

MrP

Thanks a lot, MrP, Amy and Prezbucky:)

I got it very clearly now :slight_smile: :slight_smile: