The omission of It

Hi,

“The management meeting might be over in ten minutes or it might last hours.”

Can I also say “the management meeting might be over in ten minutes or_last hours”?

Thanks in advance. Bye bye

You can drop the pronoun ‘it’, but I think it sounds more fluent if you keep the ‘might’.

Hi Beeesneees, thanks.

Just another question, please. I suppose the following sentences are all correct, can you tell me only yes?

1. I never go to Brighton at the weekend;
  2. I never go to Brighton at the weekends;
  3. I never go to Brighton at weekends.

Thanks once more. Take care.

Yes. Why the semi-colons after the first two?

Thanks, Alan. You are right, I shouldn’t have used the sem-colons after the first two sentences because it’s a numbered list.

By the way, is it correct “I shouldn’t have used…”?

Take care.

“I never go to Brighton at weekends.”

That is incorrect, actually. And technically, people would say “on the weekends”, as opposed to at the weekends, but either is acceptable.

You could say “I never go to Brighton on weekends”. But in that particular sentence, “at weekends” just sounds weird.

This is a BrE/AmE difference. “at” is usual in BrE; “on” is usual in AmE.

Except it’s not. I’m not American, and “on” is the usual term.

Edit- Might I ask if you have lived in the UK all your life, or if you lived a large part of your life outside of the UK? If it’s the latter then that would explain your incorrect understanding.

See e.g. dictionary.cambridge.org/diction … sh/weekend

I think you are on your own here, Jamie.

Alan

I’ve lived all my life in the UK and ‘at’ is the natural choice for me.

OK, I guess “I shouldn’t have used the sem-colons” is correct.

I’ve been in Brighton many years ago, and they say “at” the weekend over there :slight_smile:

Right, except for the typo in “semi”.

EDIT: This post overlapped with Dozy’s.

Yes, Mr Francis, saying “I shouldn’t have used” was absolutely correct. However, the correct way to spell the (plural) form of the punctuation you used is “sem[size=117]i[/size]-colons”.

I would also use the simple past tense ‘was’ in your other sentence. Simple past tense works well with ‘ago’. If you omitted the time reference (many years ago), then the present perfect would be just fine.

[color=darkblue]_____________________________________________________________________
[size=75]“Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend.” ~ Zenna Schaffer[/size]

I enjoy the notion of an Italian telling an English man what we say in my home town where I’ve lived for 23 years…

Hi Jamie,

It looks like there must be some regional variation within the UK in the use of “at the weekend” vs “on the weekend” then. Of course, as a speaker of American English, I say “on the weekend” too. I had always been led to believe that everyone in the UK said “at the weekend”, so it’s interesting to hear that 's not always the case.
:slight_smile:

[color=darkblue]_____________________________________
[size=75]“Always strive to excel, but only on weekends.” ~ Richard Rorty[/size]

It all sounds very odd to me. Last time I visited Brighton, I didn’t notice an American colony!

After some further searching, I can’t find any mention of this issue anywhere that says anything other than “at” is usual in BrE and “on” is usual in AmE. I suppose there may be exceptions in both countries, but the consensus very much seems to be that those are the norms.

I’m glad to have started such an important discussion!

Now I know in the USA and where Jamie lives they say “on” the weekend :slight_smile:

However thanks to everyone.

Now maybe we can talk about whether to say “wait in line” or “wait on line”. I suppose we can toss in “queue up” for the Brightonians.