The lecture ... from prehistory to modern times and gave the audience...

Choose the best answer to fill in the blank

"The lecture … from prehistory to modern times and gave the audience much to think about.’
A. cover
B. range
C. include
D. deal

In my opinion, the answer is B. range
Is it correct ?
Thanks for help !

Again, Vangiang, the question itself is flawed, or at least your choices are flawed.

None of the 4 choices will work.

(A) is faulty, because tense agreement requires the choice of cover[color=blue]ed’

(B) is faulty, because tense agreement requires the choice of ‘range[color=blue]d’

© is faulty, because tense agreement requires the choice of ‘include[color=blue]d’. Additionally, even if we were given the grammatically correct choice of ‘included’, we can’t use the structure of ‘included from X to Y’, so this verb won’t work.

(D) is faulty, because tense agreement requires us to use 'The lecture [color=blue]dealt. Additionally, we have to use the form ‘dealt with’, so for this construction the verb ‘deal’ won’t work, even if we were given the correct past tense choice of ‘dealt’.

As it is, none of the choices work. However, I’d say that if we had the choices available to us, I’d say both “The lecture ranged from…” or “The lecture covered from…” would both be equally acceptable.

hi Skrej. Thanks for for help
I have to say again that it’s my fault of typing . I was too careless

Hope to receive your help next times ^^

Skrej, wouldn’t you say that “covered” is better here with an expressed object, as in “covered the period from x to y”, or “covered all from x to y”? That’s why I’d pick “ranged”.