The least you can/could do. Please give some advice

Hi, @Anglophile, @Andrea @Torsten @Alan

I that 'the least you can/do is an idiom, but I would to like ask what you think of the following sentences:

- The least you can do is write him a letter./ The least you can do is to write him a letter.
- The least you could do is write him a letter/ The least you could do is to write him a letter.
- The least you could have done was write him a letter/ The least you could have done was to write him a letter.

I’ve heard and read sentences of both versions, but which ones sound the most natural or are they all acceptable?

4 Likes

To me, all of them sound okay.

3 Likes

Thank you, so much. Did I ever mention before that you were a nice and sweet man. I think I did, but now I’m changing this; you’re the nicest and sweetest man of all India. Take care my friend and stay healthy, you’re life and you’re kindness are very, very dear to me. If there were more people with your integrity this world would certainly be a better place. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

2 Likes

I think that the second version of the sentences is more natural as construction and to what i still remember from school the prefix “to” in this case is right.

3 Likes

Thank you very much, Kolev123.

1 Like