the importance of biodiversity .plz rate my essay:)tks

Name: Le Thi Thuy Trang
Date: 10.11.2012
Topic: the importance of biodiversity is being more widely recognized as increasing numbers of species come under threat. What can be done to maintain biodiversity?

Biodiversity, also known as biological diversity refers to a definition of the existence of a large number of different kinds of animals and plants making our environment well-balanced. However, sadly, many species are on the decline quantitatively as well as qualitatively as they are coming under threat of extinction. As far as I am concerned, appreciation of the importance of biodiversity and drastic measure taken by governments stand out to efficiently serve to protect biodiversity.

In the first place, equipping citizens with necessary information about the significance of the biodiversity is of critical importance. To be more specific, forests invariably play the role of huge green lungs as they produce most of the oxygen and sequester most of the carbon dioxide through the photosynthesis process. Moreover, animals also significantly feature in incorporating in food chains. To explain, if one species disappears, it will be followed by other animals’ extinction as a consequence of the lack of food supply. However, both deforestation and hunting are prevalent nowadays, which put the existence of biological diversity at stake. According to the latest survey conducted by VNexpress, the most popular Vietnamese newspaper, both Southeast Asian and African are annually losing 10 percent of forests coverage in the Earth’s surface. This urgently calls for actions to protect our environment, particularly biodiversity.

Yet importantly, deterring people from flattening forests and hunting animals is more paramount now than ever before. There is no denying that farmers often cut down trees to cultivate soils for farming purposes. Furthermore, high profits are another forces that drive illegal acts performed such as hunting animals for fur, claws and horns. It is high time governments sat down and made a joint effort to maintain biodiversity. What they should to, to my mind, is building more biological diversity reserves to protect endangered species and reconditioning barren topsoil to plant forests. Another measure taken is imprisoning those secretly hunting wild animals. As far as I know, many Hollywood stars have contributed to campaign against furry clothes. They refused to dress these fancy clothes in an effort to waken the public’s mind about protecting wild animals. In plain terms, deforestation and hunting appear as wake-up calls to governments on a global scale. If no drastic measures are taken, it will be our direct descendants who are potential sufferers.

On the basis of the above-mentioned discussions, one has reason to believe human being’s activities nowadays adversely affect biodiversity in terms of plants and animals. However, fortunately, governments cross the world are positive to keep these practices to a minimum and strictly treat offenders.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of Social History (2)

Hi, I thought your essay was very good. Sorry if my suggestions got a little rambling here and there. You have a very clear writing style and excellent vocabulary. Only a few minor usage errors and some phrases that could be worded a bit better. Overall, I would rate this a 4.5 out of 5.

i dont know exactly to say but in many classes, not only in english ones. we are taught bout the significance of forest, particularly its role towards our human being’s lives. and it is very obvious/natural that many vietnamese students use this knowledge into almost every essays about environtment!:slight_smile:

i have come across: put st at risk,therefore, i think it is still good if i use : put st at stake:( but it turned out that it sound unnatural:( poor me! tks for all ur helps:))

Yes, “put at risk” is fine, but “put at stake” is not. The most common phrase with stake is “at stake”, like “there is a lot at stake” or “the environment is at stake”.