The Final Revision!

Hello,
This is my final revision before my exams begin, I hope you help me out check the answers.

[color=red]Run-On Sentences
[color=blue]The following Sentences are run-on sentences, correct them.

color=red Since he arrived late from work he did not have time to cook.
color=blue Since he arrived late from work, he did not have time to cook.
color=blue He did not have time to cook since he arrived late from work.

color=red Karmen my dearest friend was here yesterday.
Karmen, my dearest friend, was here yesterday.

color=red I wanted to go visit them however I did not have the time.
I wanted to go visit them; however, I did not have the time.

color=red If you are not well you don not have to do the work.
If you are not well, you do not have to do the work.

Most of those are not really run-on sentences; they simply lack some preferred punctuation. Here is a run-on sentence: ‘The sun is high, put on some sunblock.’ Your punctuation, however, is correct.

Rather unfortunately, the instruction “The following Sentences are run-on sentences, correct them.” is itself a run-on sentence. It also has a capitalisation error.

I agree with all your punctuation changes, but apart from #3, I would not call these run-on sentences. In my opinion, #1 and #4 are not incorrect as they stand,* though I prefer the commas.

*Apart from the typo in #4 of course.

color=red I didn’t know which job I wanted I was too confused to decide.
color=red I didn’t know which job I wanted. I was too confused to decide.
[color=red]b[/b] I didn’t know which job I wanted; I was too confused to decide.
color=red I didn’t know which job I wanted since I was too confused to decide.
color=red Since I was too confused to decide, I didn’t know which job I wanted.

color=red Doctors are concerned about the rising death rate in asthma therefore they have called for more researches into its causes…
Doctors are concerned about the death rate in asthma; therefore, they have called for more researches into its causes.

color=red Before arriving at the station the old train caught fire.
Before arriving at the station, the old train caught fire.

color=red The first state to ratify the US constitution Delaware is rich in country.
What is this? Is this an appositive phrase? (Delaware is an additional noun after the first state)?
The first state, Delaware to ratify the US constitution, is rich in country.

6 seems to be over-punctuated to me. I would be happy with:
Doctors are concerned about the death rate in asthma, therefore they have called for more researches into its causes.
‘Researches’ seems strange there. I would expect the uncountable version ‘research’.

1. I assume should be:
    The first state to ratify the US constitution, Delaware, is rich in country.
    However, ‘rich in country’ seems odd. I would expect ‘rich in land’.

If we used Delaware right after “constitution”, then it will be talking about the constitution, isn’t that right?

color=red Allowing his men to make important decisions Leon fostered a spirit of togetherness among his men.
Allowing his men to make important decisions, Leon fostered a spirit of togetherness among his men.

color=red Although the milky way looks like a dim cloud it’s actually a huge galaxy…
Although the milky way looks like a dim cloud, it’s actually a huge galaxy.

color=red Great Britain which is now an island was once part of the European mainland.
color=blue Great Britain, which is now an island, was once part of the European mainland.
color=blue Great Britain, an island, was once part of the European mainland (Using Appositive Phrase)

color=red His salary is enormous however Leon thinks it’s worth it.
His salary is enormous; however, Leon thinks it’s worth it.

Delaware cannot be used immediately after constitution (without any punctuation). It would not make sense. Delaware is the state,

I don’t like 11b and as in the earlier example, I think you have over-punctuated 12.

What do you mean by over-punctuating?

I have studied that in my course.
Independent Clause; Independent Marker, Independent Clause

color=red Until cable TV was invented many viewers could not get a clear reception from their sets.

Until cable TV was invented, many viewers could not get a clear reception from their sets.

color=red Because it will be repaired Stacy pool will be closed for a week.

[color=blue]b[/b] Because it will be repaired, Stacy pool will be closed for a week.
[color=blue]b[/b] Stacy pool will be closed for a week because it will be repaired.

One of the problems with punctuation exercises, BC, is that some rules are arbitrary. BeE tends to use less punctuation than AmE, for example, and commas are notoriously optional.

asthma; therefore, they - AmE
asthma, therefore they - BrE
enormous; however, Leon - AmE
enormous, however Leon - BrE (? I am presuming this is your suggestion, BN)

As for 13 &14: I find the comma useful in #14 but not really necessary in #13. With this sort of comma, use depends on the length of the fronted adverbial clause and how it articulates semantically with the main clause at their juncture: I find ‘repaired Stacy pool’ confusing, but ‘invented many viewers’ manageable. This is the kind of personal choice writers (or their editors) often face.

Indeed. Thank you for throwing some light on that.

So, if I solved it like this it is considered wrong answer??

[color=red]; however[color=red],

It is fine on my side of the Pond.

Mister Micawber,
Wish you a happy new year!
Please correct your example of run-on sentence quoted below:
‘The sun is high, put on some sunblock.’

The sun is high, so put on some sunblock.

The sun is high, put on some sunblock.
Is this answer correct?

[color=red]Answer
color=blue Because the sun is high, put on some sunblock.
color=blue Because the sun is high, you have to put on some sunblock.

I am a BrE speaker, and in my opinion the following are both incorrect:

“His salary is enormous, however Leon thinks it’s worth it.”
“Doctors are concerned about the death rate in asthma, therefore they have called for more researches into its causes.”

I find the former more egregious than the latter.

color=red The snowstorm pumped twelve inches of snow on the interstate subsequently the police state closed the road.
color=blue The snowstorm pumped twelve inches of snow on the interstate; subsequently, the police closed the road.
color=blue The snowstorm pumped twelve inches of snow on the interstate, subsequently the police closed the road.

color=red The artist preferred to paint in oil he did not like water colors.
color=blue The artist preferred to paint in oil; He did not like water colors.
color=blue The artist preferred to paint in oil. He did not like water colors.
color=blue The artist preferred to paint in oil since he did not like water colors.

color=red Since the house was clean and the table set everything was ready for the guests’ arrival.
color=blue Since the house was clean and the table set, everything was ready for the guests’ arrival.

color=red The suspect said that he had never met the victim however the detective knew that he was lying.
color=blue The suspect said that he had never met the victim; however, the detective knew that he was lying.
color=blue The suspect said that he had never met the victim, however the detective knew that he was lying.

15A1 is not actually incorrect, but to me it seems a bit fussy. I think I would delete the comma. Alternatively you could use the word “and” instead of the semicolon.
15A2 is wrong (run-on sentence).
Something has gone wrong here with “police state” changing to “police”. (I can’t imagine the original actually reads “police state”…)

16A is not correct. In modern English we do not use a capital letter after a semicolon.
16B and 16C are OK as far as the punctuation is concerned. However, “watercolors” is normally one word.

17A OK

18A OK
I see there may be some difference of opinion above about whether the structure of 18B is acceptable, but in my view it is definitely incorrect.

Thank you so much Dozy.

color=red Before finishing this I will call Jim.
Before finishing this, I will call Jim.

color=red While Leon needs only five hours of sleep each night his wife needs at least seven.
While Leon needs only five hours of sleep each night, his wife needs at least seven.

color=red There were several unusual hairstyles at the party One woman had green hair..
There were several unusual hairstyles at the party. One woman had green hair.

color=red Completely exhausted Leon slept in two minutes.
Completely exhausted, John slept in two minutes. (Using Participle Phrase)?

They’re all okay as far as the punctuation goes, but the original phrasing in 22 needs revision.
Completely exhausted, Leon/John fell asleep in two minutes.