the articles

The biggest bird in the world, … ostrich, can kill a person with one kick.
A) the
B) a
C) -
D) an

I chose ‘the’. But the book says that ‘no article’ is correct. Why? What’s the rule?

What you chose should be the answer, in my view. Maybe, the book is incorrect. I don’t think zero article will work here.
(For a generic reference an article, a or the, is necessary. That is, you may say: The/an ostrich is a big bird. Here, however, ‘the’ is suitable.)

The key is incorrect.
‘The’ is the correct answer.
‘An’ is possible, but not expected, following the first phrase.
‘A’ and ‘zero article’ are not correct.

Beeesneees,

1. The biggest bird in the world, the ostrich, can kill a person with one kick.
  2. The ostrich, the biggest bird in the world, can kill a person with one kick.
    Which sentence is more appealing and OK?

Both are OK. It depends on which phrase you want to emphasise.

Thank u guys for your help

‘You’, not ‘u’.
There is no such word as ‘u’ in standard English.

I didn’t mean to write ‘u’. Thanks anyway.

That statement just proves how easy it is to fall into bad habits, such as texting abbreviations, when writing in a different genre.

Beeesneees,

Thank you.

When, apparently, both men and women are involved, is it correct to use ‘guys’? (I would like an American native to answer it for certain)

Why do you need an American to answer it?
I dislike it and would not choose to use it at any time. I suspect that many people my age wouldn’t use it. It is common among younger people, to refer to both sexes.

I love Americans more, though I may not love Britons less. Who bothers about like or dislike? It’s purely private and personal. Others have no say in it.

What a very weird reaction.

I found this interesting article - look at the first map: dailymail.co.uk/news/article … vides.html

Here in Nashville, we are definitely in “y’all” territory, so when someone says “you guys”, I know they are from up north. I think in some big cities in the northeast US they say “youse guys”.

Here is an even more extensive list, if you have a couple hours to kill :slight_smile:

www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

I found this interesting article - look at the first map: dailymail.co.uk/news/article … vides.html

That is a very useful article indeed! Thank you, sir.

Thanks, Luschen. Indeed informative. It also indicates the extent of research in linguistics.