The answer to "Would you mind": Yes or No

Hi,

I have a question on the answer to “Would you mind~”.

Conversation (1)
A: Would you mind calling me back?
B: Yes, I’ll call back again.

Conversation (2)
A: Would you mind calling me back?
B: Of course not. (or No.) I’ll call back again.

Strictly speaking, Conversation (1) does not make sense, right? “Yes” means actually B does mind calling back. As far as I know, however, it is spoken that way, isn’t it? Like, sometimes you would even use “Sure” in that case, which is stronger than yes, I think.

To me, I would choose Conversation (2) if you asked me which is more natural and correct. However, both of them seem okay to me. What do you think?

Thanks,
sweetpumpkin

Strictly speaking, Conversation (1) does not make sense, right?-- Right. “Yes” means actually B does mind calling back. As far as I know, however, it is spoken that way, isn’t it?-- Yes. Like, sometimes you would even use “Sure” in that case, which is stronger than yes, I think.– Sure!

To me, I would choose Conversation (2) if you asked me which is more natural and correct. However, both of them seem okay to me. What do you think?-- I agree that both occur in abundance. Remember only that this is a favorite trick on English language proficiency tests.

Thank you, MM. Because you’re living in Japan where has no time difference from here Korea, maybe I can get your quick reply. :slight_smile: Have a good day!

Yes, it speeds things up if we’re both awake at the same time.